Old 02-09-2008, 11:22 AM
"Jon Reagan"

Default Upload Question

Hey folks,

I have been working on packaging an application called OpenProj for the past several days, and I am ready to upload it for testing.* It builds using ant, and several commands, but there is a script file which automates the entire process.

Where do I need to upload the package source, and in what format (tar.gz)?* I have read extensively on REVU, and I have also heard of something called git, but if I'm lead in the right direction, I'm relatively sure I can figure it out.

Thanks,

Jon

Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Morten Kjeldgaard

Jon wrote:

> I have been working on packaging an application called OpenProj for
> the past several days, and I am ready to upload it for testing. It
> builds using ant, and several commands, but there is a script file
> which automates the entire process.
>
> Where do I need to upload the package source, and in what format
> (tar.gz)? I have read extensively on REVU, and I have also heard
> of something called git, but if I'm lead in the right direction,
> I'm relatively sure I can figure it out.

1) You need to upload your source package to REVU
(revu.ubuntuwire.com). Follow the instructions on the Wiki [1].

2) git is a version control system (VCS) that can help you manage the
different versions of the code (packaging). There are several VCSes
in use for packaging. Git is the upcoming standard for Debian
packagers [2], where bazaar is what Canonical uses for Ubuntu. The
point is, however, that you don't need to use any VCS.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Packages/REVU
[2] http://madduck.net/blog/2007.10.03ackaging-with-git/
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BzrMaintainerHowto

Cheers,