Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Pali Rohár

Default Add new application SMPQ

Hello all,

I developed application SMPQ which can manipulate MPQ archives. Now I
finished it and I released version 1.0. Source code are on launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/smpq
This my application is better alternative to old ubuntu package mpq-tools.

It is possible to include my application to (some of next releases of)
Ubuntu? How it may be done? (I have written correct debian control
files)

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I developed application SMPQ which can manipulate MPQ archives. Now I
> finished it and I released version 1.0. Source code are on launchpad:
> https://launchpad.net/smpq
> This my application is better alternative to old ubuntu package mpq-tools.
>
> It is possible to include my application to (some of next releases of)
> Ubuntu? How it may be done? (I have written correct debian control
> files)

Of course it's possible. You may be a little late to get it included
in Natty though.

What I suggest doing is to propose your package directly for Debian
now, so that it would be pulled in to Ubuntu for the next release. You
could also make it available in a PPA for Natty.

To propose a package for inclusion in Debian, look at WNPP bugs [1].
That page will have all the information you need If you're interested
in taking care of the maintenance both of your upstream program and
the packaging, you can file in an ITP bug to let others know you're
working on getting it packaged, then upload to Debian Mentors and ask
for review on their mailing list. If you'd rather ask if someone is
interested, you can file a bug (RFP) for that too.

As for including a package directly in Ubuntu, that's done by
preparing the package, uploading it to REVU and asking for review here
on the mailing list, or on IRC... However, since we're in feature
freeze, extra processes apply [2]. The general process for including
new packages is described on the wiki as well [3].

[1] - http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
[2] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess#FeatureFreeze%20for%20new%2 0packages
[3] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages

Regards,

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu-tl@ubuntu.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E *FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93