Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Roland Plüss

Default gnu-smalltalk amd64 missing

Since nearly over a year now the gnu-smalltalk is broken on Ubuntu
(since maverick to be precise) on my amd64 developer machine. Since this
time I have now to dual-boot with a GenToo to develop with GST since
Ubuntu only has the i368 version but not the amd64 version.

Why exactly is there no amd64 version since over a year whereas GenToo
has an amd64 version and it works splendid? Is it because of this one
test case which fails in the build logs?

111: DBD-MySQL skipped (testsuite.at:149)
116: GDBM FAILED (testsuite.at:154)

ERROR: 125 tests were run,
1 failed unexpectedly.
1 test was skipped.

A skipped test is nothing special and GDBM failing the test by itself
also nothing special (it's under "other package"). Is it not possible to
do something about this? It's quite a nuisance to dual-boot just because
an amd64 version is refused to be done.

(if you answer on this mail, please also CC roland@rptd.ch as I can't
register on this mailing list for some reason)

Old 02-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Chow Loong Jin

On Wednesday 16,February,2011 07:00 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:
> Since nearly over a year now the gnu-smalltalk is broken on Ubuntu (since
> maverick to be precise) on my amd64 developer machine. Since this time I have
> now to dual-boot with a GenToo to develop with GST since Ubuntu only has the
> i368 version but not the amd64 version.
>
> Why exactly is there no amd64 version since over a year whereas GenToo has an
> amd64 version and it works splendid? Is it because of this one test case which
> fails in the build logs?
>
>> 111: DBD-MySQL skipped (testsuite.at:149)
>> 116: GDBM FAILED (testsuite.at:154)
>>
>> ERROR: 125 tests were run,
>> 1 failed unexpectedly.
>> 1 test was skipped.
>
> A skipped test is nothing special and GDBM failing the test by itself also
> nothing special (it's under "other package"). Is it not possible to do something
> about this? It's quite a nuisance to dual-boot just because an amd64 version is
> refused to be done.
>
> (if you answer on this mail, please also CC roland@rptd.ch as I can't register
> on this mailing list for some reason)

Sorry about that. It's not that the amd64 version is refused to be done, but
more like nobody who used the package stepped forward to fix it (just a
no-change re-upload, since the tests all pass now anyway).

There's a bug on this[1], and I've just uploaded an unchanged package to the
maverick-proposed queue. Please subscribe yourself to that bug, and when the
package gets approved for the -proposed queue (and subsequently get copied into
natty), please verify that it works fine on Maverick so that users may get it
via maverick-updates.

Thanks for the notifying us about this.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnu-smalltalk/+bug/712296

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Roland Plüss

[...]

I would do so but unfortunately my launchpad account there is broken. I
can't log in anymore and it seems not fixable so can't help with
anything involving launchpad. Besides I'm afraid you would have to guide
me there with this proposed queue and testing stuff. I'm used to create
and work with ebuilds but with Ubuntu I have no clue.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Chow Loong Jin

On Friday 18,February,2011 08:02 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:
> Am 16.02.2011 18:33, schrieb Chow Loong Jin:
>> On Wednesday 16,February,2011 07:00 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:
>>> Since nearly over a year now the gnu-smalltalk is broken on Ubuntu (since
>>> maverick to be precise) on my amd64 developer machine. Since this time I have
>>> now to dual-boot with a GenToo to develop with GST since Ubuntu only has the
>>> i368 version but not the amd64 version.
>>>
>>> Why exactly is there no amd64 version since over a year whereas GenToo has an
>>> amd64 version and it works splendid? Is it because of this one test case which
>>> fails in the build logs?

>>> A skipped test is nothing special and GDBM failing the test by itself also
>>> nothing special (it's under "other package"). Is it not possible to do something
>>> about this? It's quite a nuisance to dual-boot just because an amd64 version is
>>> refused to be done.
>>>
>>> (if you answer on this mail, please also CC roland@rptd.ch as I can't register
>>> on this mailing list for some reason)
>>>
>> Sorry about that. It's not that the amd64 version is refused to be done, but
>> more like nobody who used the package stepped forward to fix it (just a
>> no-change re-upload, since the tests all pass now anyway).
>>
>> There's a bug on this[1], and I've just uploaded an unchanged package to the
>> maverick-proposed queue. Please subscribe yourself to that bug, and when the
>> package gets approved for the -proposed queue (and subsequently get copied into
>> natty), please verify that it works fine on Maverick so that users may get it
>> via maverick-updates.
>>
>> Thanks for the notifying us about this.
>>

>> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnu-smalltalk/+bug/712296
>>
> I would do so but unfortunately my launchpad account there is broken. I can't
> log in anymore and it seems not fixable so can't help with anything involving
> launchpad. Besides I'm afraid you would have to guide me there with this
> proposed queue and testing stuff. I'm used to create and work with ebuilds but
> with Ubuntu I have no clue.

Follow the instructions here, and install gnu-smalltalk from maverick-proposed
(if you're using Maverick) or from lucid-proposed (if you're using Lucid). If
you're using Natty, just do nothing and wait.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Old 02-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Chow Loong Jin

On Friday 18,February,2011 08:38 PM, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> On Friday 18,February,2011 08:02 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:

>>> Sorry about that. It's not that the amd64 version is refused to be done, but
>>> more like nobody who used the package stepped forward to fix it (just a
>>> no-change re-upload, since the tests all pass now anyway).
>>>
>>> There's a bug on this[1], and I've just uploaded an unchanged package to the
>>> maverick-proposed queue. Please subscribe yourself to that bug, and when the
>>> package gets approved for the -proposed queue (and subsequently get copied into
>>> natty), please verify that it works fine on Maverick so that users may get it
>>> via maverick-updates.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the notifying us about this.
>>>

>>> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnu-smalltalk/+bug/712296
>>>
>> I would do so but unfortunately my launchpad account there is broken. I can't
>> log in anymore and it seems not fixable so can't help with anything involving
>> launchpad. Besides I'm afraid you would have to guide me there with this
>> proposed queue and testing stuff. I'm used to create and work with ebuilds but
>> with Ubuntu I have no clue.
>
> Follow the instructions here, and install gnu-smalltalk from maverick-proposed
> (if you're using Maverick) or from lucid-proposed (if you're using Lucid). If
> you're using Natty, just do nothing and wait.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed

Oh, looks like I only uploaded to maverick-proposed -- it built fine on Lucid
the first time round.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Roland Plüss

[...]

Sorry for the delay but I had been quite busy. I tried getting this
working but I can't. I get to the point where I added the masking of the
proposed repository but installing does not work. KPackageKit does not
recognize the -t parameter nor does it show the proposed packages. I
can't seem to get it installed this way.