Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Malte Wehrend

Default Changing Eclipse default JVM

Hello,

Would it be possible to change the default JVM in future releases of Eclipse
(in the file /etc/eclipse/java_home ) to a JVM from sun (if installed, if
not display a hint ), instead of the gcj ?
Because it is really annoying that some (important) plugins i. e. subclipse
did not work correctly with the gcj-jvm.
After changing the default-JVM into a sun-JVM it works perfect .

I know that the sun-jvm at the moment is not as open as the gcj , but if some
plugins did not work, it is relatively senseless.

Thanks.

Malte

Old 02-05-2008, 01:25 AM
John Dong

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 01:13:21AM +0100, Malte Wehrend wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would it be possible to change the default JVM in future releases of Eclipse
> (in the file /etc/eclipse/java_home ) to a JVM from sun (if installed, if
> not display a hint ), instead of the gcj ?
> Because it is really annoying that some (important) plugins i. e. subclipse
> did not work correctly with the gcj-jvm.
> After changing the default-JVM into a sun-JVM it works perfect .
>
> I know that the sun-jvm at the moment is not as open as the gcj , but if some
> plugins did not work, it is relatively senseless.
That would cause Eclipse to be demoted to Multiverse status, along with
everything that uses SWT and the other stuff that eclipse provides.

Given that, I don't think this would be likely to happen, though I agree
with you that
(1) it's unfortunate that plugin doesn't work for you
(2) eclipse should probably respect the java alternative or otherwise
make it more obvious to switch JVMs

-John

Old 02-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Timo Aaltonen

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, John Dong wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 01:13:21AM +0100, Malte Wehrend wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Would it be possible to change the default JVM in future releases of Eclipse
>> (in the file /etc/eclipse/java_home ) to a JVM from sun (if installed, if
>> not display a hint ), instead of the gcj ?
>> Because it is really annoying that some (important) plugins i. e. subclipse
>> did not work correctly with the gcj-jvm.
>> After changing the default-JVM into a sun-JVM it works perfect .
>>
>> I know that the sun-jvm at the moment is not as open as the gcj , but if some
>> plugins did not work, it is relatively senseless.
> That would cause Eclipse to be demoted to Multiverse status, along with
> everything that uses SWT and the other stuff that eclipse provides.

The file only lists the search order, so if the first entry is not found
it'll try the second. I don't see why it couldn't be changed.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Malte Wehrend

> The file only lists the search order, so if the first entry is not found
> it'll try the second. I don't see why it couldn't be changed.

But giving a hint why the the plugin/s is/are probably not working and where
to change it would be helpfull for some eclipse-newbies (like me).

Because changing the JVM in the Preferences-dialog seems not to work.
Probably only when started with sudo-rights.