Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Jeff Mitchell

Default Stable Handbrake package would be great

Subject line says it all. I just added the apt line for the unstable
version, and I'm hoping it works. If not, I guess I'll try the next
nightly build. Better yet, why don't we just get a stable version
packaged, to save new users the trouble? I've been using Ubuntu for 4
years and I still hardly know what I'm doing. The non-standardisation of
Linux combined with a 6-month release cycle really screws things up.
Let's at least get the best software packaged.

Cheers,
Jeff Mitchell

PS. I'm not actually on this list so please don't reply.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Jeff Mitchell
<jeffmitchell@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> Subject line says it all. I just added the apt line for the unstable
> version, and I'm hoping it works. If not, I guess I'll try the next
> nightly build. Better yet, why don't we just get a stable version
> packaged, to save new users the trouble? I've been using Ubuntu for 4
> years and I still hardly know what I'm doing. The non-standardisation of
> Linux combined with a 6-month release cycle really screws things up.
> Let's at least get the best software packaged.

Hi Jeff,

I haven't looked at Handbreak very closely in awhile, but I imagine
not much has changed. It has a number of issues that make it difficult
(or even inappropriate) for inclusion in the Ubuntu repositories.
Namely it's build process is extremely problematic; it tries to
download and build all its dependencies at build time, and statically
link to those copies.

Here are some links about previous attempts to get this into Ubuntu:

http://revu.ubuntuwire.org/p/handbrake
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/105458

In the mean time, I suggest taking a look at either transmageddon or
arista. Both are in the archive and are similar to Handbreak.

transmageddon - http://www.linuxrising.org/transmageddon/
Arista - http://www.transcoder.org/

- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio