-   -   When is crash report triggered? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/436661-when-crash-report-triggered.html)

Christoph Mathys 10-07-2010 06:32 AM

When is crash report triggered?

Hello

I'm using dkms to build and install modules at system start (copy
dkms_autoinstall to /etc/init.d and symlink from there). Now I've come
accross the following problem:
The modules allow installation only on certain kernel
(BUILD_EXCLUSIVE_). If some of them are not allowed to be built I get
a crash report symbol after login every time.

Now the question: How does this crash report tool now when to display
this symbol? Which service is it? If I knew, I could change the
autoinstaller script to not trigger a crash report.

Thanks!
Christoph

Christoph Mathys 10-07-2010 12:17 PM

When is crash report triggered?

Some answers to my question:
- The problem was not BUILD_EXCLUSIVE_ but a broken driver, so it was
absolutely OK to trigger the crash report.
- apport collects information. Description for developers at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport/DeveloperHowTo
- if dkms finds apport on the system, it does log errors it encounters
from within the /usr/bin/dkms shell script by means of a python script
(apport hook).