Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Dmitrijs Ledkovs

Default Updating the packaging guide landing page

On 30 August 2010 16:02, Iain Lane <laney@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello MOTUs and others,
>
> I had an action from UDS-M to improve the packaging guide landing
> page.
> ¬* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide
>
> which is somewhat confusing at best. We decided to go for a “task
> driven‚ÄĚ interface. I've whipped up a very quick first cut at
>
> ¬*https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Beta
>
> and would appreciate feedback and improvements. Help is particularly
> sought to
>
> ¬** Improve and expand the wording on this page.
> ¬** Identify and create links to other documents. It seems that there
> ¬* ¬*aren't targeted pages for all of the tasks as we have preferred
> ¬* ¬*larger more comprehensive documents in the past, so creating pages
> ¬* ¬*for these would also be welcome.
>
> I'm pretty short on time but will also try to do some of this myself
> over the coming weeks.
>
> Regards,
> Iain

I've taken the liberty to expand the subtitles more. Personally I have
found it difficult to quickly look up task oriented packaging
information. I like the top-level packaging tasks, since they are the
once I'm interested and personally had to perform.

I didn't like that current structure makes "distributed" packaging a
second-class citizen, i.e. an afterword - "Actually everything you
have just learned is done completely differently in majority of cases
using bzr"

So the changes I've done is to include different methods of
accomplishing each task as a first-class citizens within each of the
tasks. The key point is that if you are targetting ubuntu you should
generally end up using $bzr with the *correct* branch for all of the
tasks. (E.g. mozilla team is using their own ~mozilla-team split mode
packaging branches. The "official" lp:ubuntu/firefox-* and related are
several GB in size since they are using tarball inside tarball
packaging) Similar examples can be brought up with desktop-team, motu,
general debian packages, debian teams using git/svn/bzr.

So I want this guide to be able to quickly help me find solution:

1) How to build latest unreleased version of python package maintained
in debian?
2) If I have a patch for a package should I create debdiff, bzr branch
or a git format-patch?
3) How to correctly grab tarball to build this package

And so on and so forth.