Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu Masters Of The Universe (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/)
-   -   Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/413384-updated-lyx-packages-maverick-meercat.html)

Rob Oakes 08-16-2010 02:58 AM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
Dear Ubuntu-Motu,

As a quick way of introduction, my name is Rob Oakes. I am writing with a few questions related to the LyX (http://www.lyx.org) packages that are currently available in the Maverick repositories.

On the LyX developers list, we have received several questions about when the most stable version of LyX (1.6.7) will become available to Ubuntu users. At present, the version listed is 1.6.5. This is somewhat problematic as version 1.6.5 has several known compatibility issues with Qt 4.6 that have been fixed in later releases.

After a bit of discussion, it became apparent that there is no current maintainer for LyX on Ubuntu and updates occur only when it is merged with Debian. Given the prominence of Ubuntu in the Linux world, I and several other developers felt that we needed an active maintainer for Ubuntu in addition to one for Debian.

I have volunteered for that responsibility.

But though I have been a Ubuntu user for several years and actively work on another Launchpad-based project (https://launchpad.net/time-drive), I have never been a maintainer for a program included in the official Ubuntu repositories. Is there a Wiki that documents the how to apply for official inclusion? I have already found the community documentation describing how to create packages and upload them to Launchpad (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete) and I will be creating a PPA for updated packages early tomorrow.

As I understand that Ubuntu has been frozen, is there any special process I would need to follow in order to have these packages included in 10.10? I have read the community documentation, but it was not clear how a non-Ubuntu member (e.g. me), would be able to update the available packages.

Any insights or advice you might be able to offer would be extremely appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob Oakes
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

أحمد المحمودي 08-16-2010 03:09 AM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 08:58:06PM -0600, Rob Oakes wrote:
> On the LyX developers list, we have received several questions about
> when the most stable version of LyX (1.6.7) will become available to
> Ubuntu users. At present, the version listed is 1.6.5. This is
> somewhat problematic as version 1.6.5 has several known compatibility
> issues with Qt 4.6 that have been fixed in later releases.
> [...]
> As I understand that Ubuntu has been frozen, is there any special
> process I would need to follow in order to have these packages
> included in 10.10? I have read the community documentation, but it
> was not clear how a non-Ubuntu member (e.g. me), would be able to
> update the available packages.
---end quoted text---

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess

AFAIK, since it fixes issues it would be accepted.

Btw, Maverick ships Qt 4.7 beta2, are there compatibility issues with
that too ?

I would be glad to help you, since there is a colleague of mine at work,
who started using it.

--
‎أ*مد الم*مودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
Digital design engineer
GPG KeyID: 0xEDDDA1B7
GPG Fingerprint: 8206 A196 2084 7E6D 0DF8 B176 BC19 6A94 EDDD A1B7
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

Rob Oakes 08-16-2010 03:24 AM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It is really appreciated. I will look over the link that you'e sent and start filing the appropriate bugs. First thing in the morning (I live in the United States), I will also upload new packages and test them against the current version of Maverick.

<< Btw, Maverick ships Qt 4.7 beta2, are there compatibility issues with that too ? >>

Yes, unfortunately.

Version 1.6.5 shipped with a number of bugs and problems that necessitated not one, but two additional minor releases in order to resolve them fully. As far as I know, no additional issues have been reported.

When building 1.6.7 against Qt 4.7 beta 2 on Mac OS X and Windows, I have not been aware of problems. Unfortunately, On my main rig I run 10.04 and 4.7 B1, and have not experienced any Qt related complications.

Cheers,

Rob

On Aug 15, 2010, at 9:09 PM, أ*مد الم*مودي wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 08:58:06PM -0600, Rob Oakes wrote:
>> On the LyX developers list, we have received several questions about
>> when the most stable version of LyX (1.6.7) will become available to
>> Ubuntu users. At present, the version listed is 1.6.5. This is
>> somewhat problematic as version 1.6.5 has several known compatibility
>> issues with Qt 4.6 that have been fixed in later releases.
>> [...]
>> As I understand that Ubuntu has been frozen, is there any special
>> process I would need to follow in order to have these packages
>> included in 10.10? I have read the community documentation, but it
>> was not clear how a non-Ubuntu member (e.g. me), would be able to
>> update the available packages.
> ---end quoted text---
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess
>
> AFAIK, since it fixes issues it would be accepted.
>
> Btw, Maverick ships Qt 4.7 beta2, are there compatibility issues with
> that too ?
>
> I would be glad to help you, since there is a colleague of mine at work,
> who started using it.
>
> --
> ‎أ*مد الم*مودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
> Digital design engineer
> GPG KeyID: 0xEDDDA1B7
> GPG Fingerprint: 8206 A196 2084 7E6D 0DF8 B176 BC19 6A94 EDDD A1B7


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

أحمد المحمودي 08-16-2010 03:43 AM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:24:50PM -0600, Rob Oakes wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It is really appreciated.
> I will look over the link that you'e sent and start filing the
> appropriate bugs. First thing in the morning (I live in the United
> States), I will also upload new packages and test them against the
> current version of Maverick.
---end quoted text---

You're welcome.

There are several bugs against LyX in Launchpad, it would be great if
you can identify which bugs are related to the issue you mentioned (or
that are fixed by new release anyways). I see that LP #588969 is a
relevant one.

Please base your package on the one in Debian. Actually Ubuntu's diff
from Debian is very small. It's a pity that this package got missed
before freeze, hopefully that would be overcome.


--
‎أ*مد الم*مودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
Digital design engineer
GPG KeyID: 0xEDDDA1B7
GPG Fingerprint: 8206 A196 2084 7E6D 0DF8 B176 BC19 6A94 EDDD A1B7
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

Rob Oakes 08-16-2010 03:50 AM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
On 08/15/2010 09:43 PM, أ*مد الم*مودي wrote:
> There are several bugs against LyX in Launchpad, it would be great if
> you can identify which bugs are related to the issue you mentioned (or
> that are fixed by new release anyways). I see that LP #588969 is a
> relevant one.
>
> Please base your package on the one in Debian. Actually Ubuntu's diff
> from Debian is very small. It's a pity that this package got missed
> before freeze, hopefully that would be overcome.
I will do that. It would also be good to get any unique Launchpad bugs
filed in our own Trac system, and to to identify which are duplicates.

I have been in touch with the maintainer from Debian, and he has kindly
given me a copy of everything that he uses to package LyX. It is good
to know that the Ubuntu diff is small. This makes me hopeful that there
will be few complications.

I will let you know after I have built the new packages and filed the
appropriate bugs.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

أحمد المحمودي 08-16-2010 08:03 AM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:50:45PM -0600, Rob Oakes wrote:
> On 08/15/2010 09:43 PM, أ*مد الم*مودي wrote:
> >Please base your package on the one in Debian. Actually Ubuntu's diff
> >from Debian is very small. It's a pity that this package got missed
> >before freeze, hopefully that would be overcome.
> I have been in touch with the maintainer from Debian, and he has
> kindly given me a copy of everything that he uses to package LyX.
> It is good to know that the Ubuntu diff is small. This makes me
> hopeful that there will be few complications.
>
> I will let you know after I have built the new packages and filed
> the appropriate bugs.

I think that is not needed anymore, please look at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/latex-xft-fonts/+bug/618547
for explanation.

So we can just sync Debian's lyx package without any modifications now.

Thanks to Iain Lane (Laney) for spotting it !

> >There are several bugs against LyX in Launchpad, it would be great if
> >you can identify which bugs are related to the issue you mentioned (or
> >that are fixed by new release anyways). I see that LP #588969 is a
> >relevant one.
> I will do that. It would also be good to get any unique Launchpad
> bugs filed in our own Trac system, and to to identify which are
> duplicates.

So now you can just concentrate on filing the FFe, and identify the bugs
fixed by new upstream (please mention those bugs in your FFe report).

Thanks...

--
‎أ*مد الم*مودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
Digital design engineer
GPG KeyID: 0xEDDDA1B7
GPG Fingerprint: 8206 A196 2084 7E6D 0DF8 B176 BC19 6A94 EDDD A1B7
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

Benjamin Drung 08-16-2010 08:30 AM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
Am Montag, den 16.08.2010, 10:03 +0200 schrieb أ*مد الم*مودي:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:50:45PM -0600, Rob Oakes wrote:
> > On 08/15/2010 09:43 PM, أ*مد الم*مودي wrote:
> > >Please base your package on the one in Debian. Actually Ubuntu's diff
> > >from Debian is very small. It's a pity that this package got missed
> > >before freeze, hopefully that would be overcome.
> > I have been in touch with the maintainer from Debian, and he has
> > kindly given me a copy of everything that he uses to package LyX.
> > It is good to know that the Ubuntu diff is small. This makes me
> > hopeful that there will be few complications.
> >
> > I will let you know after I have built the new packages and filed
> > the appropriate bugs.
>
> I think that is not needed anymore, please look at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/latex-xft-fonts/+bug/618547
> for explanation.
>
> So we can just sync Debian's lyx package without any modifications now.

This was my conclusion after looking at the lyx source. :)

> Thanks to Iain Lane (Laney) for spotting it !
>
> > >There are several bugs against LyX in Launchpad, it would be great if
> > >you can identify which bugs are related to the issue you mentioned (or
> > >that are fixed by new release anyways). I see that LP #588969 is a
> > >relevant one.
> > I will do that. It would also be good to get any unique Launchpad
> > bugs filed in our own Trac system, and to to identify which are
> > duplicates.
>
> So now you can just concentrate on filing the FFe, and identify the bugs
> fixed by new upstream (please mention those bugs in your FFe report).

You could use the requestsync script to request a sync and add all
information required for a FFe.

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

Rob Oakes 08-16-2010 01:29 PM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for pointing this out. I think that you just saved me great deal of time and work, which makes me very happy ;)

Cheers,

Rob

On Aug 16, 2010, at 2:30 AM, Benjamin Drung wrote:

> Am Montag, den 16.08.2010, 10:03 +0200 schrieb أ*مد الم*مودي:
>> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:50:45PM -0600, Rob Oakes wrote:
>>> On 08/15/2010 09:43 PM, أ*مد الم*مودي wrote:
>>>> Please base your package on the one in Debian. Actually Ubuntu's diff
>>>> from Debian is very small. It's a pity that this package got missed
>>>> before freeze, hopefully that would be overcome.
>>> I have been in touch with the maintainer from Debian, and he has
>>> kindly given me a copy of everything that he uses to package LyX.
>>> It is good to know that the Ubuntu diff is small. This makes me
>>> hopeful that there will be few complications.
>>>
>>> I will let you know after I have built the new packages and filed
>>> the appropriate bugs.
>>
>> I think that is not needed anymore, please look at
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/latex-xft-fonts/+bug/618547
>> for explanation.
>>
>> So we can just sync Debian's lyx package without any modifications now.
>
> This was my conclusion after looking at the lyx source. :)
>
>> Thanks to Iain Lane (Laney) for spotting it !
>>
>>>> There are several bugs against LyX in Launchpad, it would be great if
>>>> you can identify which bugs are related to the issue you mentioned (or
>>>> that are fixed by new release anyways). I see that LP #588969 is a
>>>> relevant one.
>>> I will do that. It would also be good to get any unique Launchpad
>>> bugs filed in our own Trac system, and to to identify which are
>>> duplicates.
>>
>> So now you can just concentrate on filing the FFe, and identify the bugs
>> fixed by new upstream (please mention those bugs in your FFe report).
>
> You could use the requestsync script to request a sync and add all
> information required for a FFe.
>
> --
> Benjamin Drung
> Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

Rob Oakes 08-16-2010 02:15 PM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
Dear Benjamin and Ahmed,

Thank you for your advice and recommendations. This morning, I filed
the request for sync using requestsync, as you recommended last night.
It has been registered as Launchpad bug #618690
(https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lyx/+bug/618690).

I have tried to be as thorough as possible (requestsync appears to have
filled in all of the required information for me, which was marvelous).
Please let me know if you need anything else.

I will begin working on the bug list later this afternoon. Right now,
the LyX trac appears to be down and it isn't possible to make any
comparisons.

Cheers,

Rob Oakes

On 08/16/2010 02:30 AM, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Am Montag, den 16.08.2010, 10:03 +0200 schrieb أ*مد الم*مودي:
>> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:50:45PM -0600, Rob Oakes wrote:
>>> On 08/15/2010 09:43 PM, أ*مد الم*مودي wrote:
>>>> Please base your package on the one in Debian. Actually Ubuntu's diff
>>> >from Debian is very small. It's a pity that this package got missed
>>>> before freeze, hopefully that would be overcome.
>>> I have been in touch with the maintainer from Debian, and he has
>>> kindly given me a copy of everything that he uses to package LyX.
>>> It is good to know that the Ubuntu diff is small. This makes me
>>> hopeful that there will be few complications.
>>>
>>> I will let you know after I have built the new packages and filed
>>> the appropriate bugs.
>> I think that is not needed anymore, please look at
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/latex-xft-fonts/+bug/618547
>> for explanation.
>>
>> So we can just sync Debian's lyx package without any modifications now.
> This was my conclusion after looking at the lyx source. :)
>
>> Thanks to Iain Lane (Laney) for spotting it !
>>
>>>> There are several bugs against LyX in Launchpad, it would be great if
>>>> you can identify which bugs are related to the issue you mentioned (or
>>>> that are fixed by new release anyways). I see that LP #588969 is a
>>>> relevant one.
>>> I will do that. It would also be good to get any unique Launchpad
>>> bugs filed in our own Trac system, and to to identify which are
>>> duplicates.
>> So now you can just concentrate on filing the FFe, and identify the bugs
>> fixed by new upstream (please mention those bugs in your FFe report).
> You could use the requestsync script to request a sync and add all
> information required for a FFe.
>


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

Benjamin Drung 08-16-2010 02:47 PM

Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat
 
Dear Benjamin and Ahmed,
>
> Thank you for your advice and recommendations. This morning, I filed
> the request for sync using requestsync, as you recommended last night.
> It has been registered as Launchpad bug #618690
> (https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lyx/+bug/618690).
>
> I have tried to be as thorough as possible (requestsync appears to have
> filled in all of the required information for me, which was marvelous).
> Please let me know if you need anything else.

The explanation why the Ubuntu changes can be dropped is not correct. We
can drop it, because we remove the latex-xft-fonts source package and
let the binary package build from lyx.

You need to add all information required for a feature freeze [1].

> I will begin working on the bug list later this afternoon. Right now,
> the LyX trac appears to be down and it isn't possible to make any
> comparisons.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess

PS: Please avoid top-posting.

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.