Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Benjamin Drung

Default update ibus (was: ubuntu-tweak in new)

Am Freitag, den 06.08.2010, 00:37 +0800 schrieb Aron Xu:
> For example the ibus series in Ubuntu is OLD, and I filed some sync
> and merge request about including the newer versions from Debian. But
> in fact nobody works on the ibus package's merge, and users are
> getting software that supported by Ubuntu Development team but which
> are almost dropped by upstream. There are many users in CJK
> communities using ibus-dev/shawn-p-huang 's PPAs, the first one is
> maintained by the package maintainer in Debian, the second by the ibus
> author. Only in this way users can get a better input experience, and
> I am frustrating about having 1.2.0.20091215-1ubuntu4 in
> Lucid/Maverick when 1.3.7-1 has already sit in Debian Sid. This single
> package blocks quite some other packages, like ibus-pinyin to be
> updated in Ubuntu. From a user's point of view, 1.3.x has a really big
> improvement that worth to use an "untrusted" PPA when the trusted
> maintainer team don't supply updates for quite quite long cycles.

To get the newer version into Ubuntu someone has to do the merge and
attach a debdiff to the merge bug report [1] or request a sync and
explain why the Ubuntu changes can be dropped.

If someone is able to provide a package in a PPA, he/she is able to
produce a proper debdiff for a merge request.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ibus/+bug/611224

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)

Old 08-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Aron Xu

Thanks, I am not complaining about the sponsor team and I know there
must be someone to do the merge and supply a debdiff or a branch for
the sponsor team to actually do the sponsor.

What I am thinking is ibus is a key program for many users especially
CJK users, and when someone in the community requests to update the
package, there should be somebody (e.g. Ubuntu Desktop Team/Canonical
Desktop Team) to do the merge and let Ubuntu Sponsor Team upload it to
make the real update.

We are common users and Ubuntu wiki (and in various mailing lists) is
encouraging us to file requests when we need the program to be
updated. But when we asked for updating the package, we seemingly need
to merge it ourselves first to make it able to be updated. That's not
easy or reasonable for a non-technical desktop user.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Benjamin Drung

Am Freitag, den 06.08.2010, 08:12 +0800 schrieb Aron Xu:
> We are common users and Ubuntu wiki (and in various mailing lists) is
> encouraging us to file requests when we need the program to be
> updated. But when we asked for updating the package, we seemingly need
> to merge it ourselves first to make it able to be updated. That's not
> easy or reasonable for a non-technical desktop user.

Yes, the merge or upgrade needs to be done by a developer. It's not a
user task. My point was: If someone was able to provide a newer version
via a PPA (and you install it via ubuntu-tweak), the person can get the
package in the archive (through an sponsor) instead.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Aron Xu

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 05:44, Benjamin Drung <bdrung@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Yes, the merge or upgrade needs to be done by a developer. It's not a
> user task. My point was: If someone was able to provide a newer version
> via a PPA (and you install it via ubuntu-tweak), the person can get the
> package in the archive (through an sponsor) instead.

The package in Debian can build directly in Ubuntu and works well. I
am wondering if we don't really need a merge because I found there are
some code in the previous patches already in mainstream and the
package works well in our desktop. Also, I am sure there are issues
about indicator support open on upstream issue tracker.

What we are using from PPA (ppa:shawn-p-huang/ppa) is mostly build the
package directly from source without any change, package in Debian
adds the first of three patches ship in Ubuntu that adds the
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=ibus domain in .desktop file.

The other two are about appindicator and show_menuitem which are
somehow not easy for people who are not familiar with indicator-* to
do the merge. ibus changes rapidly and indicator-* has changed, too.