Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Soren Hansen

Default Statement from the MOTU Council about Marco Rodrigues

Looking at the report compiled by Cesare Tirabassi and Daniel Holbach
[1] (thanks for the work you and others put into it), we feel it's
necessary to issue this statement.

1. We appreciate Marco Rodrigues' insight after this supervision
period [2]. Marco: Taking the time to carefully reflect about
the comments will hopefully prove useful to you.
2. Further we'd like to ask Marco Rodrigues to refrain from
contributing to Ubuntu Development from now on. The way this
happened in the past was marked by repetition and lack of
improvement in a lot areas and constant supervision in the team
is not sustainable.
3. We believe that the same problems and conditions will probably
apply to other situations and scenarios too. Therefore we'd
like to give the advice to take the comments about impatience,
integration with a team, asking for guidance seriously.
4. We wish Marco the best for his future.
5. If Marco Rodrigues wishes to come back the MC will require:
1. MOTUs supporting this wish actively.
2. A solid indication of changes in the work style.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/motu-council/2008-January/000762.html
[2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/motu-council/2008-January/000768.html

On behalf of the MOTU council,
Soren Hansen
Daniel Holbach
Michael Bienia

Old 01-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Sarah Hobbs

Old 01-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Sarah Hobbs

Old 02-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Ming Hua

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:16:54PM +0000, João Luís Marques Pinto wrote:

> > Just for the record, I appreciate that he has been banned.
>
> It is very sad one some gets banned, presumably for the lack of
> quality/patient on his effort to collaborate.
> It is very sad that someone cares to "record" it, without presenting
> anything positive about such record.

I don't see why it's sad if someone cares to "record" it. And although
I'm not a native English speaker, my understanding of "just for the
record" is that Stefan wants to formally express his support for the
banning, which is not really "recording" anything.

> It is very sad when other people translate a council advice "ask Marco
> Rodrigues to refrain" into a "ban him everywhere", certainly we are getting
> back some centuries on the "social being" conscience.

First, it's not "ban him everywhere", only on IRC, and only on
development related channels.

I think banning is very appropriate if Marco could not do what the
council suggested him to, i.e. "refrain from contributing to Ubuntu
Development". Although I don't know the exact incident that caused this
banning, if it is the same kind of things Marco used to do in IRC
channels, I also thank and support this banning.

Regards,
Ming
2008.02.02