Old 11-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Matt Zimmerman

Default Change in the Mentoring program

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 07:08:37PM +0100, Cesare Tirabassi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> as you may know we have been discussing possible ways to make the Mentoring
> program even more efficient.
> One possibility raised by Emmet [1] is to split the current program in two
> stages, not directly linked to each other:
>
> Stage 1 would be directed towards newcomers and is meant as an introduction to
> the Ubuntu development, in particular about the methods, tools and processes
> that we use.
> At the end of stage 1 a contributor is supposedly able to actively contribute
> to the community through sponsoring.
>
> Stage 2 is instead mainly meant to prepare already active contributors to
> become MOTUs.
>
> Before adopting this change, we would like to know how many developers would
> be willing to change to this scheme, and how many would be available to help
> out with either stage 1, stage 2 or both of them.
>
> In light of an adoption of this scheme, Mentors which are already active are
> kindly requested to communicate to us under which stage would their mentoree
> fall.
>
> Please raise your hand!

It's a bit too abstract for me to provide much comment, as it's not clear
how this would change things significantly. Is the idea to provide separate
documentation resources? To recruit different groups of people to help with
the two stages? How would the approach differ in practice? Can you
describe the proposed changes in more detail?

--
- mdz

Old 11-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Matt Zimmerman