Old 06-25-2010, 06:33 PM
"Jorge O. Castro"

Default submittodebian feedback wanted!

Hi everyone,

During the Debian health check session at UDS we got some feedback
that the submittodebian tool in ubuntu-dev-tools could use some love.
On IRC ScottK mentioned that "One issue with it is that is pushes the
entire Ubuntu diff as a patch. That's generally not very useful."

Does anyone else have any feedback on how the tool could be improved?
Any other ideas for how we can make submitting patches to Debian suck
less for contributors?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Soren Hansen

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 02:33:37PM -0400, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> During the Debian health check session at UDS we got some feedback
> that the submittodebian tool in ubuntu-dev-tools could use some love.
> On IRC ScottK mentioned that "One issue with it is that is pushes the
> entire Ubuntu diff as a patch. That's generally not very useful."

I never intended for anyone to just run submittodebian and accept the
defaults.

When I've used it myself to submit stuff that really constituted two
distinct changes, I've run it twice, and on each run removed all the
stuff that didn't pertain to the change in question. That's why it
fires up an editor with the debdiff in it. Perhaps this isn't very well
documented

I couldn't think of a way to separate a patch into logically separate
pieces without creating separate Ubuntu versions for the distinct
changes just for this purpose, but I myself at least never had the
discipline (nor motivation) to do that.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer

Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 PM
fabrice

Hi,

I think that dropping the maintainer change in debian/control would be a
good idea, as you have to delete it systematically, and if you changed
some dependency, you can mess your patch. Also some Debian maintainer
become quite hostile when you forget it:
<python-modules-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> +Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>

you want us to change maintainer to Ubuntu Developers? Will you take
care of bugs and new upstream releases? Great
(extracted from a bug generated by submittodebian)

Fabrice

Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Dmitrijs Ledkovs

On 25 June 2010 19:33, Jorge O. Castro <jorge@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> During the Debian health check session at UDS we got some feedback
> that the submittodebian tool in ubuntu-dev-tools could use some love.
> On IRC ScottK mentioned that "One issue with it is that is pushes the
> entire Ubuntu diff as a patch. *That's generally not very useful."
>
> Does anyone else have any feedback on how the tool could be improved?
> Any other ideas for how we can make submitting patches to Debian suck
> less for contributors?

Can it somehow accept already generated patch?

I usually cherrypick and edit commits in a local copy of
lp:debian/sid/package and then I'd love to submit $ bzr diff -r-2.. as
a patch to debian with all the usertags and against correct package =)
but in the end just end up sending an email without user-tags via
reportbug.

Can we teach ubuntu reportbug to set "ubuntu->debian developer" tags
by default? or at least via a sample config?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Nigel Babu

Hello folks

submittodebian generally assumes that the patch is already in Ubuntu,
it would be nice to make it a bit more proactive by giving a bug
number and listing out the patches in LP for that bug and being able
to forward that patch to Debian. It will also hugely benefit the
~ubuntu-reviewers team when we forward the patch to Debian.

Warm Regards
Nigel Babu

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Daniel Holbach

On 25.06.2010 22:00, fabrice wrote:
> I think that dropping the maintainer change in debian/control would be a
> good idea, as you have to delete it systematically, and if you changed
> some dependency, you can mess your patch.

Maybe first thing we need to change is to add a -R option to
"update-maintainer", that can then be used by submittodebian. :-)

Have a great day,
Daniel