FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Masters Of The Universe

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Lucas Nussbaum
 
Default list of removal candidates

Hi,

The following source packages:
- are in universe or multiverse
- are not in Debian unstable
- have not been updated in Ubuntu since Ubuntu hardy (=> same version in
hardy and lucid)
- are installed on less than 0.1% of Ubuntu systems, according to popcon
(=> popcon < 1400 installations)

I have gone through each of them, and I think that they are good
candidates for removal from Ubuntu. Could you please go through the
list, and try to find packages that should be kept for some reason?

# packages that were part of Debian at some point:
chpax
vh
dart
replicator
ras
libforms-doc
asis-doc
cl-aspectl
nawm
aladin
toolbar-fancy
cl-fad
pyragua
jmp
albert
libwww-doc
pfmon
dpkg-ftp
qemacs
libannodex
hbf-kanji48
dpkg-multicd
mirrordir
syck
libxfontcache
euro-support

# packages that were apparently never part of Debian (at least they
# weren't in etch or lenny)
libroxen-form
libroxen-ecms
libaspectr
outo
wulfware
libspread-session-perl
emilda-print
japana
pclcomp
vectormath
kagemai
mestatus
gopersist
sense-region
reformat
libalgorithm-numerical-shuffle-perl
lms
hsc
depview
cell-gdb
howm
libtree-perl
htmlpp
qchat
paralogger
pdumpfs-rsync
tablix
libhtml-pager-perl
vdr-plugin-skinsoppalusikka
libdbg
libgames-cards-perl
libfxscintilla
sword-text-viet
sorune
cafix
musixpss
vdr-plugin-ttxtsubs
reverend
cell-programming-primer
anjsp
happycoders-emacs
libcgikit-ruby
banana
smartdoc
fgr
libsocket
sword-text-tagalog
loqui
bkp
at-poke
qdbusbridge
mobile-application-service
zebedee
sugar-sliderpuzzle-activity
sugar-flipsticks-activity
sugar-jigsawpuzzle-activity
nbsmtp
v2strip
gizmod
lashwrap
tclcrypt
jpackage-utils
sixpack-bibtex
libexporter-cluster-perl
wakkabox
dbmdeep
muine-shell
mosml
gafix
synctree
x11rec
console-freecell
squeak-plugin-image
squeak-sources3
claw4
spu-newlib
tkbibtex
cell-gcc
opensg
sqlite-ruby
ximp3
termlauncher-applet
cell-binutils
klavier
hardware-connected
libcafix
sword-text-itadio
waon
ppu-sysroot
grml-vpn
gournal
squash
sword-text-rst
sword-text-frelsg
sugar-logviewer-activity
mateedit
sugar-connect-activity
fceu-server
sugar-memorize-activity
ubuntu-laptop-mode
imqv2
plagiat
update-apt
apt-mark-sync

Of course, that's a lot of packages. But remember that:
1/ they have a very low popcon
2/ they have not seen any upload during the last two years
3/ they haven't been seen as important enough to be uploaded to Debian
4/ if mistakes are made, the packages are still available in the archive
(since they are in hardy)

And, to reassure yourself, you can take a look at the update-apt package
(which is one of those with the highest popcon). I can spot at least 4
typos in the description, and its functionality is something that can be
provided by a 1-line shell script.
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas@nussbaum.fr GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM
"Michael Bienia"
 
Default list of removal candidates

On 2009-12-07 13:53:59 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

First, thanks for providing this list.

> # packages that were part of Debian at some point:
> mirrordir
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mirrordir/+bug/484738

Michael

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Oliver Grawert
 
Default list of removal candidates

hi,
Am Montag, den 07.12.2009, 13:53 +0100 schrieb Lucas Nussbaum:
> Hi,
>
> The following source packages:
> - are in universe or multiverse
> - are not in Debian unstable
> - have not been updated in Ubuntu since Ubuntu hardy (=> same version in
> hardy and lucid)
> - are installed on less than 0.1% of Ubuntu systems, according to popcon
> (=> popcon < 1400 installations)
>
> I have gone through each of them, and I think that they are good
> candidates for removal from Ubuntu. Could you please go through the
> list, and try to find packages that should be kept for some reason?

> # packages that were apparently never part of Debian (at least they
> # weren't in etch or lenny)
...
> sugar-sliderpuzzle-activity
> sugar-flipsticks-activity
> sugar-jigsawpuzzle-activity
...
> squeak-plugin-image
> squeak-sources3
...
> sugar-logviewer-activity
...
> sugar-connect-activity
...
> sugar-memorize-activity

for these packages the edubuntu people used to care, i think the squeak
packages come from a time where debian refused to include squeak at all
due to its licensing (i think this changed ...)
and the sugar components come from a disagreement between the ubuntu and
debian sugar teams, i'm cross-sending this to edubuntu-devel so the
edubuntu team can take a look ...

ciao
oli
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Oliver Grawert
 
Default list of removal candidates

hi,
Am Montag, den 07.12.2009, 13:53 +0100 schrieb Lucas Nussbaum:
> Hi,
>
> The following source packages:
> - are in universe or multiverse
> - are not in Debian unstable
> - have not been updated in Ubuntu since Ubuntu hardy (=> same version in
> hardy and lucid)
> - are installed on less than 0.1% of Ubuntu systems, according to popcon
> (=> popcon < 1400 installations)
>
> I have gone through each of them, and I think that they are good
> candidates for removal from Ubuntu. Could you please go through the
> list, and try to find packages that should be kept for some reason?

> # packages that were apparently never part of Debian (at least they
> # weren't in etch or lenny)
...
> sugar-sliderpuzzle-activity
> sugar-flipsticks-activity
> sugar-jigsawpuzzle-activity
...
> squeak-plugin-image
> squeak-sources3
...
> sugar-logviewer-activity
...
> sugar-connect-activity
...
> sugar-memorize-activity

for these packages the edubuntu people used to care, i think the squeak
packages come from a time where debian refused to include squeak at all
due to its licensing (i think this changed ...)
and the sugar components come from a disagreement between the ubuntu and
debian sugar teams, i'm cross-sending this to edubuntu-devel so the
edubuntu team can take a look ...

ciao
oli
--
edubuntu-devel mailing list
edubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
"Arne Hestad"
 
Default list of removal candidates

Looks ok to me

Thank You,
Kris Hestad, MCP
Sr. Computer Specialist
Faculty Center
University Of Central Florida
4000 Central Florida Blvd.
CL1-207
Orlando, FL 32816-0066
407-823-3544
www.fctl.ucf.edu


>>> Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> 12/7/2009 8:53 AM >>>
hi,
Am Montag, den 07.12.2009, 13:53 +0100 schrieb Lucas Nussbaum:
> Hi,
>
> The following source packages:
> - are in universe or multiverse
> - are not in Debian unstable
> - have not been updated in Ubuntu since Ubuntu hardy (=> same version in
> hardy and lucid)
> - are installed on less than 0.1% of Ubuntu systems, according to popcon
> (=> popcon < 1400 installations)
>
> I have gone through each of them, and I think that they are good
> candidates for removal from Ubuntu. Could you please go through the
> list, and try to find packages that should be kept for some reason?

> # packages that were apparently never part of Debian (at least they
> # weren't in etch or lenny)
...
> sugar-sliderpuzzle-activity
> sugar-flipsticks-activity
> sugar-jigsawpuzzle-activity
...
> squeak-plugin-image
> squeak-sources3
...
> sugar-logviewer-activity
...
> sugar-connect-activity
...
> sugar-memorize-activity

for these packages the edubuntu people used to care, i think the squeak
packages come from a time where debian refused to include squeak at all
due to its licensing (i think this changed ...)
and the sugar components come from a disagreement between the ubuntu and
debian sugar teams, i'm cross-sending this to edubuntu-devel so the
edubuntu team can take a look ...

ciao
oli


--
edubuntu-devel mailing list
edubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
"Arne Hestad"
 
Default list of removal candidates

Looks ok to me

Thank You,
Kris Hestad, MCP
Sr. Computer Specialist
Faculty Center
University Of Central Florida
4000 Central Florida Blvd.
CL1-207
Orlando, FL 32816-0066
407-823-3544
www.fctl.ucf.edu


>>> Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> 12/7/2009 8:53 AM >>>
hi,
Am Montag, den 07.12.2009, 13:53 +0100 schrieb Lucas Nussbaum:
> Hi,
>
> The following source packages:
> - are in universe or multiverse
> - are not in Debian unstable
> - have not been updated in Ubuntu since Ubuntu hardy (=> same version in
> hardy and lucid)
> - are installed on less than 0.1% of Ubuntu systems, according to popcon
> (=> popcon < 1400 installations)
>
> I have gone through each of them, and I think that they are good
> candidates for removal from Ubuntu. Could you please go through the
> list, and try to find packages that should be kept for some reason?

> # packages that were apparently never part of Debian (at least they
> # weren't in etch or lenny)
...
> sugar-sliderpuzzle-activity
> sugar-flipsticks-activity
> sugar-jigsawpuzzle-activity
...
> squeak-plugin-image
> squeak-sources3
...
> sugar-logviewer-activity
...
> sugar-connect-activity
...
> sugar-memorize-activity

for these packages the edubuntu people used to care, i think the squeak
packages come from a time where debian refused to include squeak at all
due to its licensing (i think this changed ...)
and the sugar components come from a disagreement between the ubuntu and
debian sugar teams, i'm cross-sending this to edubuntu-devel so the
edubuntu team can take a look ...

ciao
oli


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Dmitrijs Ledkovs
 
Default list of removal candidates

2009/12/7 Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net>:
> Hi,
>
> The following source packages:
> - are in universe or multiverse
> - are not in Debian unstable
> - have not been updated in Ubuntu since Ubuntu hardy (=> same version in
> *hardy and lucid)
> - are installed on less than 0.1% of Ubuntu systems, according to popcon
> *(=> popcon < 1400 installations)
>
> I have gone through each of them, and I think that they are good
> candidates for removal from Ubuntu. Could you please go through the
> list, and try to find packages that should be kept for some reason?
>

> qemacs

I love it =) I guess I'll switch to something else for editor in ssh
terminal. There are plenty of alternatives for small-scale emacs-like
editors. Although I think this is the only small one which does X11
with really cool effects. Oh well =)

> sword-text-viet
> sword-text-tagalog
> sword-text-itadio
> sword-text-rst
> sword-text-frelsg

These are bibles! Hence they don't change very often.... And they were
part of debian. My team (Debian/Ubuntu) pkg-crosswire were meant to
take over these and update them, but unfortunately that didn't happen
yet =( There are alternative means to download them (not using apt but
crosswire frontends). We got into an argument with upstream on how to
package these and handle them in front-ends. So for now please remove
them cause none of the frontends are currently available in Ubuntu
which will automagiclly pick these up.

>
> Of course, that's a lot of packages. But remember that:
> 1/ they have a very low popcon
> 2/ they have not seen any upload during the last two years
> 3/ they haven't been seen as important enough to be uploaded to Debian
> 4/ if mistakes are made, the packages are still available in the archive
> * (since they are in hardy)
>
> And, to reassure yourself, you can take a look at the update-apt package
> (which is one of those with the highest popcon). I can spot at least 4
> typos in the description, and its functionality is something that can be
> provided by a 1-line shell script.
> --
> | Lucas Nussbaum
> | lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net * http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
> | jabber: lucas@nussbaum.fr * * * * * * GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQFLHPrn2hliNwI7P08RAthoAJ9xyacT2IF63U/tY3Df/k4ntkulhQCgtjtZ
> ggAFVmqb9vTztGUtXfrcD1A=
> =cpLC
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> --
> Ubuntu-motu mailing list
> Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
>
>



--
With best regards


Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),
Ледков Дмитрий Юрьевич

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 12-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Emmet Hikory
 
Default list of removal candidates

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> The following source packages:
> - are in universe or multiverse
> - are not in Debian unstable
> - have not been updated in Ubuntu since Ubuntu hardy (=> same version in
> *hardy and lucid)
> - are installed on less than 0.1% of Ubuntu systems, according to popcon
> *(=> popcon < 1400 installations)
>
> I have gone through each of them, and I think that they are good
> candidates for removal from Ubuntu. Could you please go through the
> list, and try to find packages that should be kept for some reason?
<...>
> gizmod

This is my pet input multiplexor framework, although I've not been
fiddling much with my odd input devices since hardy (and it shows).
I'd rather keep it, unless someone can recommend an alternate input
multiplexor that is being maintained more agressively. Use cases
include things like binding multibutton joysticks to keyboard events
(e.g. MS sidewinder commander), supporting function keyboards (e.g.
Belkin n52), managing foot pedals (e.g. Kinesys foot switches), doing
something with big knobs (e.g. PowerMate), handling mice with far too
many knobs and buttons (e.g. Buffalo Flip3D), etc. I don't expect
most people have these things, but for those of us that do, it's nice
to be able to configure them to do something interesting in a
consistent manner. I'll update it for lucid (upstream has 3.5).

> lashwrap

This is an incredibly useful utility for those using LASH to
manage audio production sessions. Upstream has not made newer
releases, but it has as yet attracted no bug reports in LP, and it
worked for me last I tried it (on karmic last week: I haven't set up a
lucid system for audio production testing yet).

--
Emmet HIKORY

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Lucas Nussbaum
 
Default list of removal candidates

On 08/12/09 at 16:50 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> > gizmod
>
> This is my pet input multiplexor framework, although I've not been
> fiddling much with my odd input devices since hardy (and it shows).
> [...]
>
> > lashwrap
>
> This is an incredibly useful utility for those using LASH to
> manage audio production sessions.
> [..]

Have you considered maintaining these two inside Debian?
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas@nussbaum.fr GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org