FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Masters Of The Universe

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard
 
Default Staging area for REVU uploads?

Hi MOTUs,

I propose that we establish a PPA staging area for certain packages in
REVU.

There are several reasons why this could be practical:

* At times, uploaders submit library packages, and also have other
packages that depend on that library package uploaded for review. With
the REVU PPA in listed in the pbuilder environments, it will be easy
to build and review the dependent packages, without having to wait for
the library package to reach the final archive.

* With the packages in a staging area, it would be easier and more
convienient to invite people to do some preliminary installation and
testing of the packages.

* We can continue some level of reviewing and uploading, even during FF.

* Certain build problems with packages might be exposed before being
uploaded to the final archive.

* Perhaps it is possible to pull packages directly from the PPA into
the NEW queue?

Cheers,
Morten


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Mario Limonciello
 
Default Staging area for REVU uploads?

Hi Morten:

2009/2/21 Morten Kjeldgaard <mok@bioxray.au.dk>

Hi MOTUs,



I propose that we establish a PPA staging area for certain packages in

REVU.In principle I think having an environment that builds packages from
revu is a great idea.* Unfortunately, the PPA's in their currently
implementation are not a good idea.* I'll nest a few reasons why below:




There are several reasons why this could be practical:



** At times, uploaders submit library packages, and also have other

packages that depend on that library package uploaded for review. With

the REVU PPA in listed in the pbuilder environments, it will be easy

to build and review the dependent packages, without having to wait for

the library package to reach the final archive.What happens when someone needs to make changes without modifying the build number?* REVU allows this, but PPAs explicitly wouldn't unless you deleted the old build, waited for the publisher to see the deletion, and reran it.* You'd then run into weird situations on environments that might have already installed a package from the REVU PPA.





* With the packages in a staging area, it would be easier and more

convienient to invite people to do some preliminary installation and

testing of the packages.Yes.* I agree a staging area would be spectacular for this purpose.





* Certain build problems with packages might be exposed before being

uploaded to the final archive.I'd be more of a fan of a build happening in a pbuilder, sbuild, what not, but binaries not being published as easily.* The build log would be sufficient to identify the build problems.





* Perhaps it is possible to pull packages directly from the PPA into

the NEW queue?Generally when people upload to PPAs, they'll append ~ppaX or +ppaY to the revision to reflect the fact that these aren't really in the archive yet.* There can be some confusion especially when there are changes to the packaging, but the build number hasn't changed.


Regards
--
Mario Limonciello
superm1@gmail.com

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard
 
Default Staging area for REVU uploads?

On 21/02/2009, at 19.51, Mario Limonciello wrote:

> What happens when someone needs to make changes without modifying
> the build number? REVU allows this, but PPAs explicitly wouldn't
> unless you deleted the old build, waited for the publisher to see
> the deletion, and reran it. You'd then run into weird situations on
> environments that might have already installed a package from the
> REVU PPA.

Oh, I didn't make it quite clear: I imagine that packages uploaded to
the PPA would be the ones that passed reviewing with 2 advocates. So
essentially, these package would be in a state ready for upload to
Ubuntu's archive. I agree that dealing with every upload in the PPA
would be unmanagable.

Perhaps an exception from this rule could be made wrt. library packages.

> Generally when people upload to PPAs, they'll append ~ppaX or +ppaY
> to the revision to reflect the fact that these aren't really in the
> archive yet. There can be some confusion especially when there are
> changes to the packaging, but the build number hasn't changed.

Yes, this is a good point. We may have to solve the problem by
appending ~ppa* (or ~revu*) to be able to deal with situations like
you describe. That extension needs to be stripped on the final upload.

Cheers,
Morten


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 AM
Stefan Potyra
 
Default Staging area for REVU uploads?

Hi Morten,

Am Saturday 21 February 2009 19:32:13 schrieb Morten Kjeldgaard:
> Hi MOTUs,
>
> I propose that we establish a PPA staging area for certain packages in
> REVU.
>
> There are several reasons why this could be practical:
>
> * At times, uploaders submit library packages, and also have other
> packages that depend on that library package uploaded for review. With
> the REVU PPA in listed in the pbuilder environments, it will be easy
> to build and review the dependent packages, without having to wait for
> the library package to reach the final archive.

hm... not too sure: Just adding *all* packages on revu to my pbuilder
environment is something which I feel uncomfortable with. Personally, I use
mini-dinstall for this task, because it lets me explicitely select which
package I want to be able to see in my pbuilder environment.

>
> * With the packages in a staging area, it would be easier and more
> convienient to invite people to do some preliminary installation and
> testing of the packages.

that's a good point.

>
> * We can continue some level of reviewing and uploading, even during FF.

With my motu-release hat on, I'm not too fond of this idea: FF has also the
social component to shift people towards fixing bugs instead of reviewing new
packages.

>
> * Certain build problems with packages might be exposed before being
> uploaded to the final archive.

Yes. That would be good. I even think, that ideally every package uploaded to
REVU should get autobuilt. However using a ppa for this would need the
acceptance of launchpad developers, as it might contain indistributable code.
Can you check with lp devs about this?

Cheers,
Stefan.
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Michael Bienia
 
Default Staging area for REVU uploads?

On 2009-02-21 20:52:47 +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
> Oh, I didn't make it quite clear: I imagine that packages uploaded to
> the PPA would be the ones that passed reviewing with 2 advocates. So
> essentially, these package would be in a state ready for upload to
> Ubuntu's archive. I agree that dealing with every upload in the PPA
> would be unmanagable.

I guess I'm missing something here. When a package has two advocates why
not upload it to the archive? Or do you mean upload it to the archive
and to the PPA? What's the benefit of it? Is the NEW processing that
slow that it blocks reviewing?

Michael

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard
 
Default Staging area for REVU uploads?

On 22/02/2009, at 12.47, Michael Bienia wrote:

> On 2009-02-21 20:52:47 +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
>> Oh, I didn't make it quite clear: I imagine that packages uploaded to
>> the PPA would be the ones that passed reviewing with 2 advocates. So
>> essentially, these package would be in a state ready for upload to
>> Ubuntu's archive. I agree that dealing with every upload in the PPA
>> would be unmanagable.
>
> I guess I'm missing something here. When a package has two advocates
> why
> not upload it to the archive? Or do you mean upload it to the archive
> and to the PPA? What's the benefit of it? Is the NEW processing that
> slow that it blocks reviewing?

After FF there's a period of ~ 2 months where we can't upload new
packages.

I would be good to be able to finish the processing of those packages
that are _almost_ finished, but just didn't make it. While it's still
in fresh memory of the reviewers and uploaders.

Also, many uploaders are quite disappointed. It would be a
consolation if we published those packages that didn't quite make it
(but still get +2 votes) on the PPA. They should be compiled for the
version they "missed", currently jaunty. Thus, the PPA would contain a
"preview" of packages that didn't make it for jaunty, but will be
included in karmic.

Cheers,
Morten


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard
 
Default Staging area for REVU uploads?

On 22/02/2009, at 04.45, Stefan Potyra wrote:

> hm... not too sure: Just adding *all* packages on revu to my pbuilder
> environment is something which I feel uncomfortable with.
> Personally, I use
> mini-dinstall for this task, because it lets me explicitely select
> which
> package I want to be able to see in my pbuilder environment.

You wouldn't be adding _all_ REVU packages to your pbuilder
environment, only the ones that passed muster and got +2 votes.

A package would be uploaded to Ubuntu's archive if it's open,
otherwise the PPA.

I think it is important to maintain that packages in the PPA would
have the same high quality as the distributed ones, except they didn't
make the current distribution for administrative reasons etc.

Cheers,
Morten


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org