Old 12-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Default checkgmail

Mimmo Cecere Palazzo wrote:
> Hello,
> the version 1-12.1-ubuntu1 of the checkgmail package
> can't connect to the gmail server due to a change
> of the gmail service.

That sounds like https://launchpad.net/bugs/175973
It has a patch attached, so I've subscribed ~ubuntu-universe-sponsors.

Cheers,
Emilio

Old 11-28-2008, 02:43 PM
"Sridhar M.A."

Hi,

Presently I am running testing(i386) on my machine. I installed checkgmail and
when I try to run it, a window pops up telling :

CheckGmail v1.13svn
Copyright 2005-6, Owen Marshall

Sorry! CheckGmail can't find the following package(s) on your
system. These packages are needed for CheckGmail to run.

LWP::UserAgent

Try installing them if they're provided by your distro, and then
run CheckGmail again ...

If that fails, you might have to download and install
the packages from CPAN (http://search.cpan.org)

I have this file on my system which comes from the package libwww-perl.
It is in /usr/share/perl5/. Surprisingly, this program runs fine on
amd64 version on the same machine. There are no bug reports filed on
this package. Anyone else facing this problem? If someone has pointers,
I would be grateful for them.

Sridhar M.A.

Amnesia used to be my favorite word, but then I forgot it.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:13 PM
"Sandro Tosi"

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 16:43, Sridhar M.A. <mas@mylug.org> wrote:
> Presently I am running testing(i386) on my machine. I installed checkgmail and
> when I try to run it, a window pops up telling :

How did you installed checkgmail? using apt-get/aptitude or something else?

> CheckGmail v1.13svn
> Copyright (c) 2005-6, Owen Marshall
>
> Sorry! CheckGmail can't find the following package(s) on your
> system. These packages are needed for CheckGmail to run.
>
> LWP::UserAgent

this is provided by 'libwww-perl' package, that is one of the
dependencies of 'checkgmail' package in lenny, so wierd.

> I have this file on my system which comes from the package libwww-perl.
> It is in /usr/share/perl5/. Surprisingly, this program runs fine on

Is your machine up-to-date? du you run often "apt-get update; apt-get
dist-upgrade"? what about trying to reinstall that libwww-perl package
or checkgmail (after upgrading)?

Kindly,

Old 11-29-2008, 02:16 AM
"Sridhar M.A."

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 06:13:39PM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:

> How did you installed checkgmail? using apt-get/aptitude or something else?

apt-get.

> this is provided by 'libwww-perl' package, that is one of the
> dependencies of 'checkgmail' package in lenny, so wierd.
>
> Is your machine up-to-date? du you run often "apt-get update; apt-get
> dist-upgrade"? what about trying to reinstall that libwww-perl package
> or checkgmail (after upgrading)?

My initial reaction was somehow libwww-perl was not installed or an
older version. So, did

apt-get update
apt-get --reinstall install libwww-perl

Still the same problem.

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

We only acknowledge small faults in order to make it appear that we are
free from great ones.
-- La Rouchefoucauld

Old 11-29-2008, 02:56 AM
"Sridhar M.A."

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 06:13:39PM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:

> Is your machine up-to-date? du you run often "apt-get update; apt-get
> dist-upgrade"? what about trying to reinstall that libwww-perl package
> or checkgmail (after upgrading)?

Following up on my earlier mail, I did some digging. As mentioned
earlier checkgmail works on the amd64 system. So, mounted that partition
under /mnt and tried diff. Here are the results :

$ diff /usr/bin/checkgmail /mnt/usr/bin/checkgmail
mas@brahman:/var/cache/apt/archives$ diff -q {/mnt,}/usr/share/perl5/LWP
Common subdirectories: /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/Authen and /usr/share/perl5/LWP/Authen
Common subdirectories: /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol and /usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol
Files /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol.pm and /usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol.pm differ
Files /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/RobotUA.pm and /usr/share/perl5/LWP/RobotUA.pm differ
Files /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/UserAgent.pm and /usr/share/perl5/LWP/UserAgent.pm differ

Further, I just created a simple perl file with the following lines :

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

use LWP::UserAgent ;

print "Hi
"

Running this gives me this error :

Can't locate URI.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 5) line 3.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/HTTP/Request.pm line 3.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/LWP/UserAgent.pm line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/LWP/UserAgent.pm line 10.
Compilation failed in require at x.pl line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at x.pl line 24.

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

If it's worth hacking on well, it's worth hacking on for money.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:29 AM
"Sandro Tosi"

"

> Running this gives me this error :
>
> Can't locate URI.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 5) line 3.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/HTTP/Request.pm line 3.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/LWP/UserAgent.pm line 10.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/LWP/UserAgent.pm line 10.
> Compilation failed in require at x.pl line 24.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at x.pl line 24.

so this seems a problem in libwww-perl, so better involve its maintainer too.