-   -   Handling of Debian unstable uploads after the release of lenny (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/245394-handling-debian-unstable-uploads-after-release-lenny.html)

James Westby 02-14-2009 10:31 AM

Handling of Debian unstable uploads after the release of lenny

Hi,

All is looking good for Debian to release Lenny today (Saturday 14th).
This will lead to a surge of uploads to Debian unstable, which will then
show up in MoM/DaD and elsewhere. This doesn't necessarily mean that we
want all of the uploads in Ubuntu.

Please bear in mind that we are a few days away from Feature Freeze for
this cycle, and so we should be starting to limit the uploads that we
do.

Many Debian maintainers will hold back on any upload from freeze until
the release, which has been quite some time now. This means we may well
want some of the changes introduced in the Debian uploads, so reviewing
them may be worthwhile.

This is just a continuation of the usual rule that changes from Debian
should be judged against where we are in our release cycle, but the
exceptional timing of events led us to point it out.

James Westby and Scott Kitterman

David MENTRE 02-16-2009 08:33 PM

Handling of Debian unstable uploads after the release of lenny

Hello,

> This will lead to a surge of uploads to Debian unstable, which will then
> show up in MoM/DaD and elsewhere. This doesn't necessarily mean that we
> want all of the uploads in Ubuntu.
>
> Please bear in mind that we are a few days away from Feature Freeze for
> this cycle, and so we should be starting to limit the uploads that we
> do.

By the way, is there a release schedule for Jaunty+1? (like
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyReleaseSchedule) I haven't found any on
the wiki.

I'm asking this because the Debian OCaml maintainers are starting a
transition of the major release of the OCaml compiler and the associated
packages. I would like to know the windows prepared for synchronization
with Debian.

Yours,
david
--
GPG/PGP key: A3AD7A2A David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562 D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A

Emmet Hikory 02-16-2009 08:53 PM

David MENTRE wrote:
> By the way, is there a release schedule for Jaunty+1? (like
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyReleaseSchedule) I haven't found any on
> the wiki.

The detailed schedule has not yet been posted by the Release Team,
and any specific dates will be hard to determine until there is an
official announcement of the schedule.

> I'm asking this because the Debian OCaml maintainers are starting a
> transition of the major release of the OCaml compiler and the associated
> packages. I would like to know the windows prepared for synchronization
> with Debian.

Broadly speaking, the archive is likely to open for autosync in
early May, and probably close in late June. These are far from official
dates, but it's typically a week or two from release to archive open,
and usually 6-8 weeks between archive open and Debian Import Freeze. If
the transition is not expected to complete by mid-June or so, it is
probably worth further coordination to ensure that any outstanding
changes can be addressed shortly after Debian Import Freeze.

--
Emmet HIKORY

David MENTRE 02-16-2009 09:36 PM

Handling of Debian unstable uploads after the release of lenny

Hello Emmet,

Emmet Hikory <persia@ubuntu.com> writes:

> Broadly speaking, the archive is likely to open for autosync in
> early May, and probably close in late June. These are far from official
> dates, but it's typically a week or two from release to archive open,
> and usually 6-8 weeks between archive open and Debian Import Freeze. If
> the transition is not expected to complete by mid-June or so, it is
> probably worth further coordination to ensure that any outstanding
> changes can be addressed shortly after Debian Import Freeze.

Ok, thank you for the information. I'll propagate that to Debian
developers.

Yours,
d.