Old 12-29-2007, 05:06 AM
dAniel hAhler

Default SRU process: "verification-motu-needed" deprecated by general "verification-needed"?

Hello,

according to the latest changes in http://wiki.ubuntu.com/SRU the verification-motu-needed tag is obsolete and only verification-needed should get used.

Shouldn't then all existing "verification-motu-needed" tags[1] get renamed to "verification-needed" (and the same for verification-motu-done[2])?

Most of them are attached to "Fix Released" bugs, but this includes bugs with a specific "release task" (typical for SRU).

It's not really clear to me if the current revision of this document is correct (there's no reference in the changelog of the page), but if it is and I understand it correctly, that verification-motu-(done|needed) is obsolete, the transformation can probably be automated, by using a small script based on python-launchpad-bugs.

The lists of the open SRU tasks are rather small [3], so I think they should get checked manually, if the sru-verification team is subscribed to them.

In particular, I've ran across https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/127325 - where I've forgotten to send an SRU-email to this list then, and while looking the process up on the wiki, ran into the above issue.
Speaking about this particular SRU task: I would change the tag to "verification-needed" and subscribe sru-verification here.

I might totally miss the point here, that's why I'm asking.. :]

[1] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.status=New&field.status= Incomplete&field.status=Confirmed&field.status=Tri aged&field.status=In+Progress&field.status=Fix+Com mitted&field.status=Fix+Released&field.status=Inva lid&field.status=Won%27t+Fix&field.omit_dupes.used =&field.tag=verification-motu-needed
[2] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.status=New&field.status= Incomplete&field.status=Confirmed&field.status=Tri aged&field.status=In+Progress&field.status=Fix+Com mitted&field.status=Fix+Released&field.status=Inva lid&field.status=Won%27t+Fix&field.omit_dupes.used =&field.tag=verification-motu-done
[3] A list of open bugs can be queried per release:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/dapper/+bugs?field.tag=verification-motu-needed
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/edgy/+bugs?field.tag=verification-motu-needed
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty/+bugs?field.tag=verification-motu-needed
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+bugs?field.tag=verification-motu-needed

--
http://daniel.hahler.de/

Old 12-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Luca Falavigna

Hello Daniel,

dAniel hAhler ha scritto:
> Shouldn't then all existing "verification-motu-needed" tags[1] get renamed to "verification-needed" (and the same for verification-motu-done[2])?

There has not been any discussion on that, but I think we can safely
switch to the new tags. In order to keep main/restricted and
universe/multiverse bugs apart, we should adjust links accordingly using
the "Component" switches on the advanced bug pages

> In particular, I've ran across https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/127325 - where I've forgotten to send an SRU-email to this list then, and while looking the process up on the wiki, ran into the above issue.
> Speaking about this particular SRU task: I would change the tag to "verification-needed" and subscribe sru-verification here.

During our short meeting, it was agreed to follow old SRU policy for
bugs already uploaded:

<DktrKranz> what about pending SRUs? do they follow old policy or should
we take them into account?
<TheMuso> DktrKranz: I'd say keep them as is
<imbrandon> DktrKranz: the pending sru's on that page are already
uploaded, ones in the QUEUE on LP should be updated to follow this
meetings decision

As you said, there are few SRU proposals still in their verification
phase [1], these ones should be cleared using the old policy, I will
have a look at them trying to clear *-proposed pocket from old-policy
SRU uploads.

[1] http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/pending-sru.html#universe

Thanks,

--
Luca Falavigna

Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday 29 December 2007 05:45:08 Luca Falavigna wrote:
> Hello Daniel,
>
> dAniel hAhler ha scritto:
> > Shouldn't then all existing "verification-motu-needed" tags[1] get
> > renamed to "verification-needed" (and the same for
> > verification-motu-done[2])?
>
> There has not been any discussion on that, but I think we can safely
> switch to the new tags. In order to keep main/restricted and
> universe/multiverse bugs apart, we should adjust links accordingly using
> the "Component" switches on the advanced bug pages

Was there discussion of this change at one of the recent meetings (I've been
offline a lot during holiday travel)? It seems to me that this makes it
harder to find Universe SRUs needing verification.

Scott K

Old 12-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Luca Falavigna

Scott Kitterman ha scritto:
> Was there discussion of this change at one of the recent meetings (I've been
> offline a lot during holiday travel)? It seems to me that this makes it
> harder to find Universe SRUs needing verification.

FYI, meeting log is available here:
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2007/12/15/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt

There's a good rationale behind this choice. We want to keep main and
universe procedures as close as possible, these are the deltas so far:

1) motu-sru is responsible to approve a SRU candidate for
universe/multiverse components (instead of ubuntu-sru)
2) SRU candidates includes FTBFS, not installable, and segfault on
startup cases (not always addressed in main/restricted)

Having two separate series of tags would introduce more deltas than
necessary, since we can easily discover SRUs needing verification via
the following links:

* http://tinyurl.com/3bgr3y (Dapper)
* http://tinyurl.com/3akl7x (Edgy)
* http://tinyurl.com/3b2u78 (Feisty)
* http://tinyurl.com/yr7wsu (Gutsy)

These ones show verified SRUs:

* http://tinyurl.com/25f6dk (Dapper)
* http://tinyurl.com/yw59th (Edgy)
* http://tinyurl.com/yu5ldn (Feisty)
* http://tinyurl.com/yuk7s7 (Gutsy)

Also, http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/pending-sru.html is a
great tool to have a quick look at outstanding SRUs.

Luca Falavigna