Old 02-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Daniel J Blueman

Default boot-time async readahead...

By modifying the boot-time readahead to be at lower I/O and processor
priority than the boot scripts and asynchronous, I see a 20% reduction
in overall boot time (from installing bootchart) on my desktop: 41s
down to 33s.

I've produced a complete and tested debdiff at:
http://quora.org/hive/readahead-list_0.20050517.0220-1ubuntu5.diff.gz

and prebuilt a jaunty/intrepid x86-64 package (sorry, no ia32 h/w) at:
http://quora.org/hive/readahead_0.20050517.0220-1ubuntu5_amd64.deb

I'm interested in feedback and what performance benefit others see, to
see if it's worthwhile we get this reviewed and uploaded.

Happy booting!
Daniel
--
Daniel J Blueman