-   -   wanna be tweaker - Blender (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/237512-wanna-tweaker-blender.html)

Jonathan Marsden 01-31-2009 04:39 AM

wanna be tweaker - Blender

Adam B wrote:

> How can I track down the current maintainer of the Blender package for intrepid?
>
> This page (http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/blender) merely says
> the maintainer is "Ubuntu MOTU Developers".

apt-get source blender

and then read the debian/changelog file to see who has been maintaining
this package most recently.

> I'm interested in making a few tweaks to Blender. If it works out I'd
> like to create an Ubuntu package identical to that which ships with
> Ubuntu (aside from my tweaks).

Then you can just apt-get source blender as above, make your tweaks to
the package (including a dch -i to add a new changelog section
describing your changes) and rebuild the changed package yourself using
debuild :)

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete for some more
details on Ubuntu packaging. You do not need to contact the last
maintainer just to create a changed package for yourself and your friends.

Jonathan

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort 01-31-2009 08:23 AM

wanna be tweaker - Blender

Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> Adam B wrote:
>
>> How can I track down the current maintainer of the Blender package for intrepid?
>>
>> This page (http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/blender) merely says
>> the maintainer is "Ubuntu MOTU Developers".
>
> apt-get source blender
>
> and then read the debian/changelog file to see who has been maintaining
> this package most recently.

You can do 'aptitude changelog blender' and save lots of bandwidth ;)

>> I'm interested in making a few tweaks to Blender. If it works out I'd
>> like to create an Ubuntu package identical to that which ships with
>> Ubuntu (aside from my tweaks).
>
> Then you can just apt-get source blender as above, make your tweaks to
> the package (including a dch -i to add a new changelog section
> describing your changes) and rebuild the changed package yourself using
> debuild :)
>
> See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete for some more
> details on Ubuntu packaging. You do not need to contact the last
> maintainer just to create a changed package for yourself and your friends.

That's ok. And what you want to submit for consideration from the developers is
a debdiff attached to a bugreport with the sponsors subscribed. See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess

Cheers,
Emilio

Adam B 02-01-2009 03:27 AM

wanna be tweaker - Blender

Thank you Jonathan and Emilio!* That's exactly the help I needed.