-   -   JabRef dependencies (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/236415-jabref-dependencies.html)

Hans Meier 01-29-2009 09:16 AM

JabRef dependencies

Hi,

I noticed that there are unnecessary dependencies for the JabRef package. At the moment, the following packages are required:

default-jre | java2-runtime
antlr
antlr3
libjgoodies-looks-java
libjgoodies-forms-java
libspin-java
libglazedlists-java
libmicroba-java
libpdfbox-java
libjempbox-java (>=0.2.0)

However, if someone decides to install sun-java6-jre, JabRef (as downloaded from SourceForge.net) works perfectly OK. Please include the sun-java6-jre dependency as an additional option that does not require all the other libraries.

Best,
Hans

Sicher, schnell, übersichtlich - der Internet Browser vom Marktführer!

Emmet Hikory 01-29-2009 09:54 AM

JabRef dependencies

Hans Meier wrote:
> I noticed that there are unnecessary dependencies for the JabRef
> package. At the moment, the following packages are required:
>
> default-jre | java2-runtime
> antlr
> antlr3
> libjgoodies-looks-java
> libjgoodies-forms-java
> libspin-java
> libglazedlists-java
> libmicroba-java
> libpdfbox-java
> libjempbox-java (>=0.2.0)
>
> However, if someone decides to install sun-java6-jre, JabRef (as
> downloaded from SourceForge.net) works perfectly OK. Please include the
> sun-java6-jre dependency as an additional option that does not require
> all the other libraries.

The sun-java6-jre package, as provided from the Ubuntu repositories
Provides: java2-runtime, to satisfy the first requirement. When built,
jabref builds against the other named libraries, and is able to use
their functionality, which is the cause of the dependency: while your
use may not have exposed a code path that could cause a crash in the
absence of those libraries, it is not known that jabref is able to
recover gracefully from the absence of these libraries at runtime when
using affected codepaths.

Another note of dissimilarity between the Ubuntu package for jabref
and the download available from the Sourceforge site is that many of the
libraries listed above are embedded in the Sourceforge download (at
least the "Platform Independent .jar file"). From a quick look, that
download includes antlr, Apache's Java Commons, pdfbox, jempbox,
jgoodies (forms, looks, and uif_lite), mysql JDBC drivers, microba,
glazdlists, and quite possibly some I overlooked. To reduce total size
requirements, for both download and runtime execution, Ubuntu uses
common system libraries wherever possible, causing a greater level of
dependency on other packages than may be found in a monolithic download.

Separately, in future, the preferred form of this sort of request
would be to file a bug against the jabref package in Ubuntu. This can
be achieved by running `ubuntu-bug jabref` from the command line, or
visiting the bug reporting page for the package in launchpad (1).

1: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jabref/+filebug

--
Emmet HIKORY