Old 01-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard

Default Proposal for revised REVU workflow

I have written up a proposal for an updated workflow for our REVU,
please see:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/REVUWorkflowProposal .

The proposal is not wildly different from what we have now, it is more
of a re-structuring. I think it can be implemented with quite few
modfications to the existing software.

I hope we can discuss this proposal at the next MOTU meeting, I have
taken the liberty of putting the issue on the agenda.

Cheers,
Morten

Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:20:19 +0100 Morten Kjeldgaard <mok@bioxray.au.dk>
wrote:

>I have written up a proposal for an updated workflow for our REVU,
>please see:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/REVUWorkflowProposal .
>
>The proposal is not wildly different from what we have now, it is more
>of a re-structuring. I think it can be implemented with quite few
>modfications to the existing software.
>
>I hope we can discuss this proposal at the next MOTU meeting, I have
>taken the liberty of putting the issue on the agenda.

Could we call the first stage something other than "New"? New already has
a specific meaning in the archive and I think it'd be better not to
overload the term.

How about "Unreviewed"?

Scott K

Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Scott Kitterman

wrote:

>I have written up a proposal for an updated workflow for our REVU,
>please see:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/REVUWorkflowProposal .
>
>The proposal is not wildly different from what we have now, it is more
>of a re-structuring. I think it can be implemented with quite few
>modfications to the existing software.
>
>I hope we can discuss this proposal at the next MOTU meeting, I have
>taken the liberty of putting the issue on the agenda.

If I understand your proposal correctly, the primary change is to segregate
packages that have never been looked at and packages that were advocated at
some point from packages that have been reviewed, but have never had an
advocate. Is that right?

I can see some potential for benifit with this. It does sound like you are
proposing a manual step of marking a package off the "New" list. I think
this should be automatic.

On a related note, can REVU be subcribed to -changes and taught to auto
archive packages after upload?

Scott K

Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard

On 24/01/2009, at 23.25, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> Could we call the first stage something other than "New"? New
> already has
> a specific meaning in the archive and I think it'd be better not to
> overload the term.
>
> How about "Unreviewed"?

I have no problem with this, and suggestions for good, descriptive
names of the various stages of the process is most welcome. I have
edited the document to reflect ScottK's suggestion.

> If I understand your proposal correctly, the primary change is to
> segregate
> packages that have never been looked at and packages that were
> advocated at
> some point from packages that have been reviewed, but have never had
> an
> advocate. Is that right?

Yes, exactly.

> I can see some potential for benifit with this. It does sound like
> you are
> proposing a manual step of marking a package off the "New" list. I
> think
> this should be automatic.

It was my intention to state that a MOTU can go to the "Unreviewed"
list, deposit a review, and the package would automatically be
promoted to the "In Process" list. I have added the word "automatic"
to the description, making that clearer.

Thanks!

Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard <mok0@ubuntu.com>
Ubuntu MOTU Developer

Old 01-25-2009, 03:39 AM
charliej

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 21:20 +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
> I have written up a proposal for an updated workflow for our REVU,
> please see:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/REVUWorkflowProposal .
>
> The proposal is not wildly different from what we have now, it is more
> of a re-structuring. I think it can be implemented with quite few
> modfications to the existing software.
>
> I hope we can discuss this proposal at the next MOTU meeting, I have
> taken the liberty of putting the issue on the agenda.
>
> Cheers,
> Morten

Two quick questions

1. Would anyone be able to "review" and leave "comments" on packages
(as it is now), or would reviewing packages be a MOTU only activity?

2. If I read your proposal correctly REVU would only be open for
uploads from the beginning of the release cycle to feature freeze?

Charlie

Old 01-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Luca Falavigna

Old 01-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Morten Kjeldgaard

On 25/01/2009, at 05.39, charliej wrote:

> Two quick questions
>
> 1. Would anyone be able to "review" and leave "comments" on packages
> (as it is now), or would reviewing packages be a MOTU only activity?

The reviewing and commenting procedures would not be changed. I think
that REVU generally is very useful and works very well as a reviewing
tool. It is certainly the best solution of any Linux distro I am aware
of.

For users of REVU, there would be mainly two differences from the
present situation. Firstly, the page with the long list of packages
that we have now would be partitioned into several pages, according to
how far you've gotten in the process. Packages will spend the longest
time on the "In Process" page, and so the user experience would be
exactly like now, except the view would not be cluttered by other
packages in different stages of development.

The "In Process" and "Advocacy pages would still have a "needs-
review" and "needs-work" section. Non-MOTUs will still be able to
comment, in fact it's a great help when people do that.

> 2. If I read your proposal correctly REVU would only be open for
> uploads from the beginning of the release cycle to feature freeze?

Exactly, that's the second difference users will experience in their
use of REVU. NEW packages that users want to have reviewed will enter
the "Unreviewed" page. So yes, a reasonable way to use this incoming
page would be to close it at Feature Freeze like you say, or perhaps
slightly before. But the MOTU team could also choose to close it for
say, a release cycle, if they want to focus on another effort during
that time.

However, while the close is in effect, uploads will still be possible
for packages "In Process", so the reviewing does not stop.

I think the Ubuntu community will accept that solution, especially
because people can "sort of" have their package in Ubuntu via the
PPAs, to the benefit of themselves and their friends. And the
community can also maintain their packages freely in bazaar on LP.

I hope it's clearer now!

Cheers,
Morten