Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Refdoc

Default Gnomesword, libsword, diatheke, sword modules, bibletime

Hi,

I am one of the developers at CrossWire. Several of our programmes are
in your repository, but they are ancient, often 2 or more releases
behind us.

I have tried on several occasions to contact the maintainer listed but
to little avail.

I asked eventually on #ubuntu-devel and was advised to mail to you.

As we see it, following is wrong:

1) libsword is at 1.5.11 - if you wait a couple of weeks probably at
1.5.12. You keep 1.5.9. 1.5.9 is nearly 2 years old. The functional
increase is massive.

2) libsword should be compiled with ICU to allow it full function. It is
not.

3) you should not maintain sword modules as all our programmes have a
module manager which will download modules directly. Installing modules
via apt-get renders the module manager non-functional as the modules are
installed by apt-get into non user writable areas (/usr/share/sword
instead of ~/.sword)

4) diatheke is a commandline utility which can if carefully handled also
be used as a base for CGI script. The example CGI code coming along with
it is not meant to be exposed to the internet - at least not in this
form. Therefore the dependency on Apache is wrong. Most users will use
diatheke only as commandline routine, never as CGI.

5) Gnomesword is ancient history. All bug reports you have on file for
GS are sorted in upodated versions. Our last release was 2.4.1. we are
currently moving towards the next release - a week or two.

There is probably more to it, but to be honest for years now we direct
everyone to our own debs as Ubuntu and Debian are so out of date.

I would therefore extremely grateful if someone could take this one up
or advise us how to go about submitting a new set of packages ourselves.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Norbert Bollow

Refdoc <refdoc@crosswire.org> wrote:

> I am one of the developers at CrossWire. Several of our programmes are
> in your repository, but they are ancient, often 2 or more releases
> behind us.

Hi,
I haven't contributed anything to Ubuntu before (besides a few bug
reports) but I'd be willing to "maintain" packaging of the CrossWire
software for Ubuntu and Debian, in the sense of updating the concerned
packages whenever a new upstream version comes out, fixing any
packaging bugs, etc.

I'm aware of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/GettingStarted and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debian/ForUbuntuDevelopers and intend to try
just following the instructions. :-)

If someone else is also interested in working on this, I certainly
wouldn't mind being part of a team effort...

Greetings,
Norbert

Old 01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Adeodato Sim

Hello,

a person from the Ubuntu community forwarded this mail of yours to a
Debian list.

All these problems you enumerate should be responsibility of the
designated maintainer (Daniel Glassey). You say that you haven't been
successful in contacting him; maybe it's that he has lost interest in
these packages, or doesn't have the time to take care of them anymore,
or perhaps doesn't read his @debian.org mail any more due to spam. I'm
CC'ing him to his latest known address, hoping he can clarify.

I think that if we don't get an answer from him (or if he says he's no
longer interested, doesn't have the time, or would welcome some help) we
should go forward with finding a new maintainer or co-maintainer for
these packages. You expressed interest in bringing your packages into
the Debian archive (which would propagate automatically to Ubuntu):
that'd be great, particularly if you're committed to providing packages
that meet the Debian Policy requirements.

So, let's wait a bit for Daniel's reply, and tell us if you prefer to
try maintaining these packages in Debian yourselves, or would rather
have somebody else do it, if anybody would be interested.

Thanks for contacting us (and thanks Jeffrey Ratcliffe too for
forwarding us your mail).

Oh, and by the way, it would be great if you could submit bug reports
for issues #2 and #4 below, so that they won't be forgotten. (Reports
about out of date versions are not really necessary in this case, since
that's what a new maintainer will address first.)

Adeodato Sim dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

The first step on the road to wisdom is the admission of ignorance. The
second step is realizing that you don't have to blab it to the world.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Daniel Glassey

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Adeodato Sim <adeodato@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a person from the Ubuntu community forwarded this mail of yours to a
> Debian list.
>
> All these problems you enumerate should be responsibility of the
> designated maintainer (Daniel Glassey). You say that you haven't been
> successful in contacting him; maybe it's that he has lost interest in
> these packages, or doesn't have the time to take care of them anymore,
> or perhaps doesn't read his @debian.org mail any more due to spam. I'm
> CC'ing him to his latest known address, hoping he can clarify.

I'd be very interested in co-maintainers. The pkg-crosswire@alioth
project never really got off the ground but it is time to try again.

I've just created a new list so I'd like to invite anyone that would
be interested to join

for discussion, and send your alioth id to me if you'd like to join the project.

Thanks dato,
Daniel

Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Christopher Swift

Hello Norbert, I will be willing to work with you on this project. Join #ubuntu-motu on the Freenode IRC network sometime and search for "Chris`". From what I've seen, the packaging (of the older versions) is a bit more advanced than some of my other packages but I will be willing to contribute too.

Have you seen the packaging videos by Daniel Holbach yet? They have some good information for packaging in them.

Regards,
Chris

Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Дмитрий Ледков

Hello!

Forwarding this back to ubuntu-motu. The current maintainer of these
packages in Debian is willing to continue to work and would love to
co-maintain them as a team. Chris and Norbert I think you are interested.

Dima

Old 01-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Adeodato Sim

* Daniel Glassey [Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:28:16 +0000]:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Adeodato Sim <adeodato@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hello,

> > a person from the Ubuntu community forwarded this mail of yours to a
> > Debian list.

> > All these problems you enumerate should be responsibility of the
> > designated maintainer (Daniel Glassey). You say that you haven't been
> > successful in contacting him; maybe it's that he has lost interest in
> > these packages, or doesn't have the time to take care of them anymore,
> > or perhaps doesn't read his @debian.org mail any more due to spam. I'm
> > CC'ing him to his latest known address, hoping he can clarify.

> I'd be very interested in co-maintainers. The pkg-crosswire@alioth
> project never really got off the ground but it is time to try again.

Great!

> I've just created a new list so I'd like to invite anyone that would
> be interested to join

> for discussion, and send your alioth id to me if you'd like to join the project.

Okay, let's hope Refdoc or some other person from Crosswire joins, and
you both can take it from there.

Cheers,

Adeodato Sim dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

Don't be irreplaceable, if you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Daniel Glassey

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Adeodato Sim <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:
> * Daniel Glassey [Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:28:16 +0000]:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Adeodato Sim <adeodato@debian.org> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>
>> > a person from the Ubuntu community forwarded this mail of yours to a
>> > Debian list.
>
>> > All these problems you enumerate should be responsibility of the
>> > designated maintainer (Daniel Glassey). You say that you haven't been
>> > successful in contacting him; maybe it's that he has lost interest in
>> > these packages, or doesn't have the time to take care of them anymore,
>> > or perhaps doesn't read his @debian.org mail any more due to spam. I'm
>> > CC'ing him to his latest known address, hoping he can clarify.
>
>> I'd be very interested in co-maintainers. The pkg-crosswire@alioth
>> project never really got off the ground but it is time to try again.
>
> Great!
>
>> I've just created a new list so I'd like to invite anyone that would
>> be interested to join

>> for discussion, and send your alioth id to me if you'd like to join the project.
>
> Okay, let's hope Refdoc or some other person from Crosswire joins, and
> you both can take it from there.

Thanks, we've got a few people on the list now but another DD (or
prospective DD) would be very handy, particularly as backup for doing
uploads.

Thanks,
Daniel