Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 AM
David Mashburn

Default getting a version of wxPython to compile for Ubuntu

Dear WxWindows maintainer(s),

What is the simplest way to get a compiled version of wxPython to run on
the latest Ubuntu for testing? I am working on a modification of
PyCrust and wanted to test some changes in the wxStyledTextControl
source (mainly, updating the Scintilla component).

I definitely DON'T want to overwrite the main version of wx on my
machine (obviously)!

Thanks,
-David Mashburn

Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Michael Bienia

On 2009-02-11 18:59:32 -0600, David Mashburn wrote:
> Dear WxWindows maintainer(s),
>
> What is the simplest way to get a compiled version of wxPython to run on
> the latest Ubuntu for testing? I am working on a modification of
> PyCrust and wanted to test some changes in the wxStyledTextControl
> source (mainly, updating the Scintilla component).
>
> I definitely DON'T want to overwrite the main version of wx on my
> machine (obviously)!

There are several options you have:
- separate partition where you can install the development version
- a chroot with the development version
- virtualization (kvm, virtualbox) and installing the development
version there

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/UsingDevelopmentReleases
for a overview about the different options and their advantages/
disadvantages.

Regards,
Michael