FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Masters Of The Universe

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-12-2009, 03:10 AM
Jonathan Marsden
 
Default Getting started wiki page

Kjeldgaard Morten wrote:

> I have now produced a draft page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GettingStartedDraft

Looks like a good start.

>> - that links to all the important pages (so we have one good answer and
>> the new contributor one page to bookmark)

The draft doesn't really meet this goal yet, I think. I'll see about
adding a few more links. One idea: Perhaps each major section should
have a "Further Resources" bit at the end which links to more detail
about the particular topic concerned
(Launchpad/Triage/bugfixing/packaging/whatever)?

Also, I think adding a table of contents to the page would be good (I
just did this!).

I'm slightly confused as to the expected path users (wannabe community
members) would take to get to this page (say from http://www.ubuntu.com)
and (if they are MOTU-wannabes) from here to MOTU-specific material.
How does the new more general GettingStarted page you are creating
relate to existing non-MOTU-specific pages of a somewhat similar nature,
such as https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu ?

Jonathan

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Kjeldgaard Morten
 
Default Getting started wiki page

On 12/01/2009, at 05.10, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>
> Also, I think adding a table of contents to the page would be good (I
> just did this!).

Great, that makes it easier to get back to the section you are working
on! Ideally, I would have liked some kind of check-box for every
exercise that people could tick off to mark how far they've gotten,
but I don't think that's possible within the Moinmoin framework.

I started the exercise sections as a way to put in links to explore,
but with the implicit message "come back here when you're done
reading". In general, I think the problem with the Wiki approach where
everything is marked by a link is that it's easy to get lost and
distracted. Therefore, when you add a link to the document, consider
formulating it as an exercise for people to do.

> One idea: Perhaps each major section should
> have a "Further Resources" bit at the end which links to more detail
> about the particular topic concerned
> (Launchpad/Triage/bugfixing/packaging/whatever)?

I think it's better to save all the "Further Reading" links until the
end of the document - where they could be organized in a table or list
corresponding to the content. The reason is not to distract the reader
too much from the flow of the document and exercises. So again: if
there's a link you think is vital for the reader to visit, consider
formulating it as an exercise, possibly with some questions to answer
afterward.

> I'm slightly confused as to the expected path users (wannabe community
> members) would take to get to this page (say from http://www.ubuntu.com
> )
> and (if they are MOTU-wannabes) from here to MOTU-specific material.
> How does the new more general GettingStarted page you are creating
> relate to existing non-MOTU-specific pages of a somewhat similar
> nature,
> such as https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment and
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu ?


The current "Getting Started wit h MOTU" document is the one we've
been pointing newcomers at, but I think that document misses the mark
and turns away a lot of not-so-technical people. On the other hand,
MOTU-hopefuls also need to learn about the workflow, so the general
introduction is a fair requirement before going into the more MOTU-
specific stuff. So my feeling is that all community wannabes should be
pointed to this document as their first step, and the document should
help them find out where they best can help out.

Cheers,
Morten


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Daniel Holbach
 
Default Getting started wiki page

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Kjeldgaard Morten schrieb:
> I have now produced a draft page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GettingStartedDraft
> , incorporating all ideas contributed to me (the number is zero ;-)).
>
> The main idea is to give a gentle introduction suited for the people
> we meet on the mailing lists or IRC asking "Hi, I'm interested in
> Ubuntu, how can I help out?".

Thanks a lot for working on this. You are clearly a rockstar.

It's a great start and I think that it would live well at
MOTU/GettingStarted

I still maintain the points that I mentioned in an earlier mail (1. very
concise landing page, 2. only one page to bookmark because it links to
all the relevant stuff and 3. don't duplicate other parts of the wiki).
What do you think about
- refining the current MOTU/GettingStarted page
- make the current text a "the very short version" section
- make your text the "explanation and exercises" section?

This way I feel we'd still have the best of both. :-)

Have a great day,
Daniel

- --
My 5 today: #315769 (last-align), #315535 (ubuntu), #315881 (nautilus-
sendto), #309684 (exiv2), #316026 (imlib2)
Do 5 a day - every day! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAklrGfEACgkQRjrlnQWd1esuCQCeMyWcPN1w29 tLyj96wQbItdAE
A4EAn2ZxloadriwqDQ1GIMlUtrVtfytu
=Bc3d
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
"Christophe Sauthier"
 
Default Getting started wiki page

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Kjeldgaard Morten <mok@bioxray.au.dk> wrote:
>
> On 12/01/2009, at 05.10, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>> I'm slightly confused as to the expected path users (wannabe community
>> members) would take to get to this page (say from http://www.ubuntu.com
>> )
>> and (if they are MOTU-wannabes) from here to MOTU-specific material.
>> How does the new more general GettingStarted page you are creating
>> relate to existing non-MOTU-specific pages of a somewhat similar
>> nature,
>> such as https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment and
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu ?
>
> The current "Getting Started wit h MOTU" document is the one we've
> been pointing newcomers at, but I think that document misses the mark
> and turns away a lot of not-so-technical people. On the other hand,
> MOTU-hopefuls also need to learn about the workflow, so the general
> introduction is a fair requirement before going into the more MOTU-
> specific stuff. So my feeling is that all community wannabes should be
> pointed to this document as their first step, and the document should
> help them find out where they best can help out.

I also think it might be great to mention the motu mentoring program
as a way to continue that start in the Ubuntu World...

Chris


--
Ma vie |
Mes recettes | http://www.reponses.net
Mes images |

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:52 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org