Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 PM
James Westby

Default Developer News

Hi,

There has been concern addressed about keeping up with Ubuntu
development without following every mailing list, being on
IRC 24 hours a day, and reading -changes lists. In an effort
to make that easier I would like to start something similar to
Debian's Developer News.

http://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews

The idea is that small items are collected, and then periodically
sent to debian-devel-announce as one mail.

In initial discussion about this two proposals for how this should
operate were made. You can read the proposals at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/News

The proposals are given at the end of this mail for those who are
reading mail offline.

I encourage you to read the proposals, and then make comments on
the wiki page, either giving your support to one proposal, or giving
your opinion. At the end of a discussion period the comments will
be evaluated, and if there is a clear winner that will be the process
we will use. I propose the MOTU meeting in 7 days, on the 28th Nov,
as the end of the discussion period.

I am happy for this to be added to the meeting agenda for discussion
if desired. Otherwise if there is no clear winner then I will declare
the proposal I didn't write as the winner.

If anyone objects to the idea of aggregating news items for developers
then feel free to add your comments to the page as well.

Thanks,

James

Proposal 1: collect items on the wiki page
This proposal follows that of Debian's DeveloperNews.

This wiki page would be the place to collect the items. They would then
be sent on when there were a few outstanding, or some amount of time had
passed since the last mail.

Anyone would be encouraged to submit items by adding the text to the
page, and anyone could send the mail when needed.

The wiki page would naturally form an archive of old items for people to
easily browse.

Proposal 2: Use the ubuntu-news-team mailing list
As there is already a news team interested in collecting news items and
sending them out, information of interest to developers could also be
handled by this group.

To avoid adding an undue extra burden on this team, it would be
appropriate for developers interesting in administering the developer
news to also participate in the news team. (note that the news team has
yet to be asked about this).

The advantage of such a system would be that the UWN, Fridge, and
developer news announcements would all be sourced from the same base of
information.

The disadvantage of such a system would be a need for greater editorial
review of presented items, and active filtering so that editors could
best direct things to the audiences most likely to be interested.

If this proposal is selected, this wiki page contains only the set of
procedures for such postings, and does not contain an archive of

[No-one has approached the news-team about this proposal as yet]

Old 11-21-2008, 09:31 AM
"Vid Ayer"

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 5:54 AM, James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:

> [No-one has approached the news-team about this proposal as yet]

I am a Fridge Ed, and I just forwarded this message to the News team
list as the -devel list didnt seem the place to continue the 'news'
discussion So feel free to follow the thread there.

--
Vid
|| Blog: http://www.svaksha.com ||

Old 11-21-2008, 09:31 AM
"Vid Ayer"

Old 11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard

James Westby wrote:

> There has been concern addressed about keeping up with Ubuntu
> development without following every mailing list, being on
> IRC 24 hours a day, and reading -changes lists. In an effort
> to make that easier I would like to start something similar to
> Debian's Developer News.

I think that is an excellent idea!

> Proposal 1: collect items on the wiki page
> This proposal follows that of Debian's DeveloperNews.

> Proposal 2: Use the ubuntu-news-team mailing list

I would like to add a 3. proposal: a blog. A blog has many qualities
which are orthogonal to those of the wiki and mailing lists.

Incidentally, I did propose establishing a blog (for MOTUs) a while ago,
there was 0 (zero) response on that proposal, so I dropped it. But in
case you missed it, look here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2008-August/004441.html

Cheers,
Morten

Old 11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard

Old 11-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Bryce Harrington

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 02:45:54PM +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
> James Westby wrote:
>
> > There has been concern addressed about keeping up with Ubuntu
> > development without following every mailing list, being on
> > IRC 24 hours a day, and reading -changes lists. In an effort
> > to make that easier I would like to start something similar to
> > Debian's Developer News.
>
> I think that is an excellent idea!
>
> > Proposal 1: collect items on the wiki page
> > This proposal follows that of Debian's DeveloperNews.
>
> > Proposal 2: Use the ubuntu-news-team mailing list
>
> I would like to add a 3. proposal: a blog. A blog has many qualities
> which are orthogonal to those of the wiki and mailing lists.

I'd underscore this. Often one wishes to include screenshots or photos,
which can be tricky on a wiki, and not really feasible on a list.

However, if considering a blog, wouldn't a planet be more appropriate,
so developers could post using their normal blogging software and a
'ubuntu-devel' category or some such?

Bryce

Old 11-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Morten Kjeldgaard

On 21/11/2008, at 19.33, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> However, if considering a blog, wouldn't a planet be more appropriate,
> so developers could post using their normal blogging software and a
> 'ubuntu-devel' category or some such?

A proper blog gives much better options for structuring the contents,
which is important in this case. A "blog" is more than just a serial
list of articles. Typically, you might have articles, a taxonomy,
search facilities, various sections, etc.

Naturally, the content of such a blog could be aggregated to one of
the many Planets already converned with Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Morten

Old 11-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Emmet Hikory

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 02:45:54PM +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
>> I would like to add a 3. proposal: a blog. A blog has many qualities
>> which are orthogonal to those of the wiki and mailing lists.
>
> I'd underscore this. Often one wishes to include screenshots or photos,
> which can be tricky on a wiki, and not really feasible on a list.
>
> However, if considering a blog, wouldn't a planet be more appropriate,
> so developers could post using their normal blogging software and a
> 'ubuntu-devel' category or some such?

If we're thinking about a blog-like architecture for news of
interest to developers, why not use the fridge? If there's too much
traffic on the fridge, having a special "Development" category doesn't
seem insurmountable.

That said, I like the concept of Developer News for quite a
different reason: there's lots of little stuff that isn't worth sending
out to everyone on a regular basis, and collecting it into sensibly
sized chunks of stuff on a weekly, monthly, or sporadic basis seems a
nice way to package it so that we can all keep track of what is
happening. This requires a level of editorial overhead (when does it
get sent? Does it make sense? Did something else happen that is
critical to include, or affects one of the statements?) beyond just
hooking developers blog clients into some feed.

--
Emmet HIKORY

Old 11-24-2008, 04:21 PM
"Nicolas Deschildre"

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Emmet Hikory <persia@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> If we're thinking about a blog-like architecture for news of
> interest to developers, why not use the fridge? If there's too much
> traffic on the fridge, having a special "Development" category doesn't
> seem insurmountable.

+1.
I like to see the Fridge as a more formal and outsider-oriented source
of news, as opposed to the Planet, where everything can be posted.
Having a regular developer news summary there would be great.

I'd also like to push things a little further : we have seen some
teams lately (namely QA and server) using the Planet for team
announcements (call for testing,...). Why not create teams subsections
in the Fridge, where teams could post their announces? Announces would
have a greater visibility there, and it would avoid teams to set up
and maintain their own blogs.

Cheers,
Nicolas Deschildre