Old 11-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Jo Shields

Default Jaunty pre-freeze Freeze Exception Request: monodevelop

Hi,

The "monodevelop" package in Ubuntu has been stuck on the same version
for an eternity, and users are (rightly) annoyed at its bugs & lack of
features. However, we have long been cautioned by upstream not to use
any SVN snapshots or alpha tarballs in a stable release, as they would
become impossible to support very quickly.

The next major stable release, however, is due "relatively" soon -
probably around February or March, but possibly later. An alpha release
which essentially feature-freezes the app until final is due to be
released within a week.

I think we're more than due for a nice new version, but I'm extremely
uncomfortable about the idea of adding an unstable snapshot now (in
order to make sure the packaging work is current & valid) if I can't get
the final release of the app into the same release.

So, can I get some level of assurance that a 2.0 pre-final package in
Jaunty could definitely be updated to final, even at a late stage in the
release? Even if, Hardy-FF3-style, it slips past the final deadline and
needs to appear in jaunty-updates?

If not, then I feel the best plan is to leave the current (1.0) version
of the package in place.

--Jo Shields

(not on-list, so please CC)

Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM
"Luke L"

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Jo Shields <directhex@apebox.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The "monodevelop" package in Ubuntu has been stuck on the same version
> for an eternity, and users are (rightly) annoyed at its bugs & lack of
> features. However, we have long been cautioned by upstream not to use
> any SVN snapshots or alpha tarballs in a stable release, as they would
> become impossible to support very quickly.
>
> The next major stable release, however, is due "relatively" soon -
> probably around February or March, but possibly later. An alpha release
> which essentially feature-freezes the app until final is due to be
> released within a week.
>
> I think we're more than due for a nice new version, but I'm extremely
> uncomfortable about the idea of adding an unstable snapshot now (in
> order to make sure the packaging work is current & valid) if I can't get
> the final release of the app into the same release.
>
> So, can I get some level of assurance that a 2.0 pre-final package in
> Jaunty could definitely be updated to final, even at a late stage in the
> release? Even if, Hardy-FF3-style, it slips past the final deadline and
> needs to appear in jaunty-updates?
>
> If not, then I feel the best plan is to leave the current (1.0) version
> of the package in place.
>
> --Jo Shields
>
> (not on-list, so please CC)

Isn't monodevelop on the current version in Inrtepid (1.0)?

Mono itself, and the C# compiler, are up-to-date, with CLI 2.0 and C# 3.0.

--
Luke L.