Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Luca Falavigna

Default Better dietlibc in Hardy

Hi all,

after reading Klaus Trainer's email in ubuntu-motu mailing list [1], I
started to look at the bug [2] given. I realized this was not due to
util-vserver but to dietlibc instead.

dietlibc is compiled without stack protector (-fno-stack-protector flag
and WANT_SSP option disabled in source code) and this leads to weird
behaviours in packages compiled with dietlibc support, see [3] and [4]
for concrete examples, but I think many packages are affected.

I prepared a spec [5] which tries to focus the issue and to provide a
candidate solution for review. I also uploaded involved packages [6] on
my PPA [7] for testing purposes.

If feedbacks are positive, I would like to upload a fixed version of
dietlibc and, once it will be built on all architectures, manage
rebuilds of the packages which build-depend on it.

Please, let me know your opinion about the issue.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/yrqxgv
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/88595
[3] https:://launchpad.net/bugs/82023
[4] https:://launchpad.net/bugs/86823
[5] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/better-dietlibc
[6] http://tinyurl.com/32ljk4
[7] https://launchpad.net/~dktrkranz/+archive

Thank you and regards,

--
Luca Falavigna

Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Luca Falavigna

Hello everybody,

Luca Falavigna ha scritto:
> after reading Klaus Trainer's email in ubuntu-motu mailing list [1], I
> started to look at the bug [2] given. I realized this was not due to
> util-vserver but to dietlibc instead.
>
> dietlibc is compiled without stack protector (-fno-stack-protector flag
> and WANT_SSP option disabled in source code) and this leads to weird
> behaviours in packages compiled with dietlibc support, see [3] and [4]
> for concrete examples, but I think many packages are affected.
>
> I prepared a spec [5] which tries to focus the issue and to provide a
> candidate solution for review. I also uploaded involved packages [6] on
> my PPA [7] for testing purposes.
>
> If feedbacks are positive, I would like to upload a fixed version of
> dietlibc and, once it will be built on all architectures, manage
> rebuilds of the packages which build-depend on it.

I concluded some tests on my PPA [7] and I find a possible fix for
dietlibc and the packages which depends on it, as I reported in the
related spec [5].

I'm going to upload a new dietlibc package after Alpha 1 release and,
once fully built on all ports, manage rebuilds of the packages which
depends on it [6]. If you are intrested in one of the package involved,
feel free to report additional comments/tests you feel important.

Also, please inform me as soon as possible if you are aware of a better
solution to fix this issue.