Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Sa´vann

Default Using Brainstorm for packaging requests

I agree with RainCT that brainstorm might be a very interesting way to
measure how many people are interested by new packages.

However, IMO, Launchpad is still the right place to consider packaging
requests because it also needs to be reviewed for many reasons :
- dependencies and libraries
- stability
- maintainability
- state of upstream project (active? abandoned? too young? about to
change?)

This needs to be done by packagers and developers, and a bug report is
designed to work around these elements.

Brainstorm moderation rules could perhaps be updated so packaging
requests don't get closed in the future, but I think that it's still
always necessary to have a launchpad bug report for each packaging
request. Working that way would be a good idea, in my point of view.

This way, brainstorm could be used for visibility purpose, discussion
and to measure popularity. Launchpad can be used for collaboration and
work on the package itself.

Sa´vann

Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT) a Úcrit :

Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Kami ROUSSEAU

Packaging request could be located in a different ideatorrent subdomain.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:39 PM
"Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT)"

Thanks for your replies so far!

2008/10/16 Sa´vann <oxmosys@gmail.com>:
> This way, brainstorm could be used for visibility purpose, discussion
> and to measure popularity. Launchpad can be used for collaboration and
> work on the package itself.

Perhaps I haven't expressed it clearly enough, but that's exactly what
I mean . A Launchpad bug would still be necessary once work on the
packaging starts (and it's actually required for packages on REVU to
close a Launchpad bug), but Brainstorm would become the
request/comment/vote place for users".

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 PM
"Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT)"

2008/10/16 Kami ROUSSEAU <kamikulture@hotmail.com>:
> Packaging request could be located in a different ideatorrent subdomain.

Yeah, or perhaps just a new category would be enough (after all, there
aren't that many packaging requests, or?).

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Thursday 16 October 2008 14:39, Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT) wrote:
> Thanks for your replies so far!
>
> 2008/10/16 Sa´vann <oxmosys@gmail.com>:
> > This way, brainstorm could be used for visibility purpose, discussion
> > and to measure popularity. Launchpad can be used for collaboration and
> > work on the package itself.
>
> Perhaps I haven't expressed it clearly enough, but that's exactly what
> I mean . A Launchpad bug would still be necessary once work on the
> packaging starts (and it's actually required for packages on REVU to
> close a Launchpad bug), but Brainstorm would become the
> request/comment/vote place for users".

If we go this way, we should reconsider requiring needs-packaging bugs at all.
Last I checked these bugs didn't get auto-closed because the bug wasn't
assigned to the (non-existant until upload) package.

Scott K

Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Siegfried-Angel

2008/10/16 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>:
> If we go this way, we should reconsider requiring needs-packaging bugs at all.
> Last I checked these bugs didn't get auto-closed because the bug wasn't
> assigned to the (non-existant until upload) package.

Hm, right, that makes sense. Usually only REVU is used to speak about
them, anyway, and if it's necessary to leave so comment before the
package is created that can be done on the Developer box on Brainstorm
(I think there are plans to allow all ~ubuntu-dev members to edit it;
nand, can you confirm this?).

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Sa´vann

Packaging request could be located in a different ideatorrent subdomain.

Yeah, or perhaps just a new category would be enough (after all, there
aren't that many packaging requests, or?).

I would also opt for a packaging request category instead of a complete
sub-domain, unless packaging request needs extra or different
functionalities in brainstorm compared to other ideas, but I doubt that
it's the case so I think that a category would be more appropriate.

Sa´vann

Old 10-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Sa´vann

Thanks for your replies so far!

2008/10/16 Sa´vann <oxmosys@gmail.com>:

This way, brainstorm could be used for visibility purpose, discussion
and to measure popularity. Launchpad can be used for collaboration and
work on the package itself.

Perhaps I haven't expressed it clearly enough, but that's exactly what
I mean . A Launchpad bug would still be necessary once work on the
packaging starts (and it's actually required for packages on REVU to
close a Launchpad bug), but Brainstorm would become the
request/comment/vote place for users".

Regards,

+ 1 then, I agree so far.

Thanks for working on the improvement of this specific process!

Sa´vann

Old 10-18-2008, 10:06 PM
"Jordan Mantha"

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT)
<rainct@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently [0] requests for new packages are done on Launchpad and they
> are not allowed on Brainstorm. However, I think that this situation is
> not optimal as there's no good way to know how many people are
> interested in a package * and so if someone wants to package one of
> those requested applications he has no clue on which of them are the
> most popular.
>
> I suggests that Brainstorm becomes the preferres place instead. Here
> are some advantages that this would have:
> - Option to vote +1/0/-1 for the idea, and to suggest alternative
> applications which do the same task **.
> - Place to comment without polluting the Launchpad bug.
> - All requests reviewed by a moderator **.
> - It's the obvious place for them ("package X" is an idea, isn't it? ).
>
> [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages
> * Okay, there will be a "also affects me" count in the future (right
> now you can mark a bug as affecting you, but there's no place where
> the count of affected people is visible), but still, Brainstorm is
> more adequate and has more visibility than Launchpad (and nice banners
> to make requests more popular).
> ** With the new version of Brainstorm, which will get online once the
> Canonical sysadmins get time to update it. Preview here:
> http://devel.ideatorrent.org/.

I'm intrigued by this idea. Here's a quick thought/proposal, what if
we split our current "needs-packaging" system into something more like
Debian's RFP (Request For Package) and ITP (Intent To Package) system.
I believe RFPs would be perfect for Brainstorm. Even more nice might
be a brainstorm instance on REVU so you can see the whole process from
REVU. Then we can use Launchpad for the ITPs, which make more sense.

Going along with this perhaps it would be useful to have a dummy or
minimal package called wnpp (to be consistent with Debian) that we can
file the ITP bugs against. Some advantages would be:
* moves packaging requests/work out of the general category of
packages that aren't filed against any package, which would help the
people triaging that set of bugs.
* it works very similar to Debian, which helps people get their
packages into Debian.
* useful information such as policy/procedures for getting a new
package in could be installed via the package or perhaps it could
Recommend ubuntu-dev-tools or something.

I've added a MOTU Meeting agenda item which persia has agreed to
represent, as I won't make it, to discuss the idea of this idea.

Thoughts?

-Jordan

Old 10-18-2008, 10:25 PM
"Caroline Ford"

> I've added a MOTU Meeting agenda item which persia has agreed to
> represent, as I won't make it, to discuss the idea of this idea.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Jordan

Having them in malone makes them easier to link to the Debian request
- and we can see if the status changes in the Debian bug. This means
it is easier to see if the request has been satisfied.

I see Brainstorm as a bit of a backwater - I never check there. I
suspect any packaging requests on brainstorm would be ignored. (Saying
I should login there and look there instead doesn't make me do so).

rant:
Brainstorm just appeared by press release one day and was never even
announced on any of the developer lists as far as I remember. It's not
anything I personally have anything to do with and I'm not sure of
it's actual real purpose. I don't have the time or inclination to deal
with it. I don't even have a login there.

Caroline