Old 10-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Daniel T Chen

Default Using Brainstorm for packaging requests

On 10/18/2008 06:06 PM, Jordan Mantha wrote:

> I'm intrigued by this idea. Here's a quick thought/proposal, what if
> we split our current "needs-packaging" system into something more like
> Debian's RFP (Request For Package) and ITP (Intent To Package) system.
> I believe RFPs would be perfect for Brainstorm. Even more nice might
> be a brainstorm instance on REVU so you can see the whole process from
> REVU. Then we can use Launchpad for the ITPs, which make more sense.
>
> Going along with this perhaps it would be useful to have a dummy or
> minimal package called wnpp (to be consistent with Debian) that we can
> file the ITP bugs against. Some advantages would be:
> * moves packaging requests/work out of the general category of
> packages that aren't filed against any package, which would help the
> people triaging that set of bugs.
> * it works very similar to Debian, which helps people get their
> packages into Debian.
> * useful information such as policy/procedures for getting a new
> package in could be installed via the package or perhaps it could
> Recommend ubuntu-dev-tools or something.
>
> I've added a MOTU Meeting agenda item which persia has agreed to
> represent, as I won't make it, to discuss the idea of this idea.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Jordan

Agreed, having a Brainstorm instance running on REVU and "ITP"s on LP
would be clearer.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Siegfried-Angel

2008/10/19 Daniel T Chen <crimsun@fungus.sh.nu>:
> Agreed, having a Brainstorm instance running on REVU and "ITP"s on LP
> would be clearer.

IMHO I don't think it makes much sense to have a Brainstorm instance
only for RFP (as it would mean installing and maintaining
Drupal+Brainstorm on spooky for little benefit), but a link from REVU
to a possible "Package Requests" section on Brainstorm could certainly
be done, or perhaps even the list of RFPs could be fetched from
Brainstorm and displayed on REVU.

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Daniel T Chen

On 10/19/2008 02:16 PM, Siegfried-Angel wrote:

> 2008/10/19 Daniel T Chen<crimsun@fungus.sh.nu>:
>> Agreed, having a Brainstorm instance running on REVU and "ITP"s on LP
>> would be clearer.
>
> IMHO I don't think it makes much sense to have a Brainstorm instance
> only for RFP (as it would mean installing and maintaining
> Drupal+Brainstorm on spooky for little benefit), but a link from REVU
> to a possible "Package Requests" section on Brainstorm could certainly
> be done, or perhaps even the list of RFPs could be fetched from
> Brainstorm and displayed on REVU.

Sure, I recognise the maintenance nightmare. Fetching from brainstorm
sounds better.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 PM
"Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT)"

Was there any further discussion on this which I missed, or has
discussion stalled?

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Sa´vann

> Was there any further discussion on this which I missed, or has
> discussion stalled?

I think that discussion stalled as the new brainstorm version still
insist that packaging requests should be done in launchpad :

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/submit/ refers to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages

I think that it depends on only one thing, the ubuntu policy about
accepting new softwares in repository.

If ubuntu policy is to accept any working software, then I think that
using braintorm isn't worth since it don't matter how many votes this
software get, it will be accepted anyway. The number of people
subscribed to the bug report is already a good way to know the
popularity of the software.

If ubuntu policy is to accept only popular softwares, then I think that
brainstorm would be the right place to find out which ones should be
accepted.

Nand and brainstorm admins : any thoughts on that?

Sa´vann

Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 PM
"Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT)"

2009/1/22 Sa´vann <oxmosys@gmail.com>:
> If ubuntu policy is to accept any working software, then I think that
> using braintorm isn't worth since it don't matter how many votes this
> software get, it will be accepted anyway. The number of people
> subscribed to the bug report is already a good way to know the
> popularity of the software.
>
> If ubuntu policy is to accept only popular softwares, then I think that
> brainstorm would be the right place to find out which ones should be
> accepted.

Popularity is *not* a decisive factor when it comes to allowing the
inclusion of packages, but knowing it can be useful in order to
prioritize work on those which are more requested.

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Kjeldgaard Morten

On 19/10/2008, at 00.25, Caroline Ford wrote:

> Having them in malone makes them easier to link to the Debian request
> - and we can see if the status changes in the Debian bug. This means
> it is easier to see if the request has been satisfied.

Agreed. We have our stuff scattered all over the Internet already. No
need to introduce yet-another site for doing something that is quite
adequately being tracked in LP. And, as ScottK pointed out, we now
have the "affects me too" field that people can tick .

I think we need to direct our actvities towards LP, and engage
actively in work to get it to do what we need, in the way we want it.
With the upcoming opensourcing of LP, it's going in the right
direction too.

Cheers,
Morten

Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Brian Murray

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 09:28:05PM +0100, Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT) wrote:
> Was there any further discussion on this which I missed, or has
> discussion stalled?

There was some discussion about this at UDS 9.04 and it resulted in a
specification[1] for handling needs-packaging bug reports.

As a part of the specification I've written a report[2] that captures
the popularity of bugs tagged 'needs-packaging'. The report filters for
bugs containing the 'needs-packaging' tag and then is limited to bugs
with either more than one user affected or more than five subscribers.
Ideally, I'd like to limit it to the user affected count but more people
need to start clicking the "me too" link. I believe this addresses one
of the benefits of using brainstorm - the ability to gauge people's
interest in having a piece of software packaged.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Specs/NeedsPackagingBugs
[2]
http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/needs-packaging/needs-packaging-popularity.html

--