Old 12-11-2007, 02:56 PM
"Emmet Hikory"

Default What DIF means to Universe (was: Impending Debian import freeze)

On Dec 11, 2007 7:53 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Just a brief note to remind you all that the DebianImportFreeze[1] for Hardy
> is two days away[2]. This is the deadline for initial merges of packages
> for Hardy; after Thursday, December 13, merging packages is a freeze
> exception, so please have your remaining merges for hardy finished before
> this point.

As this message has resulted in some confusion in #ubuntu-motu,
I've drafted the following guidelines on what DebianImportFreeze means
for Universe. I'm not speaking authoritatively, and would welcome
correction if I am mistaken.

1) Go visit MoM, DaD, or multidistrotools, and merge everything by
Wednesday night/ Don't worry if it doesn't have your name on it: at
this point any merge is fair game. Further, if you were waiting for a
sync, now is the time to push the merge in: there's no more wait
needed.

2) After this point, merges may still be done, but should only be
done when the Debian change is explicitly desireable for inclusion in
hardy (e.g. "Contains feature foo which integrates better with the
default installation", or "Fixes bug bar which annoys a bunch of
people" or "The assigned merger didn't merge by the deadline, and we
want the new updates" (the last of these should be done in the next
week or two)). Merges that change binary package names or otherwise
cause transitions should be avoided, and anyone contemplating such a
merge becomes responsible for coordinating updates to all the rdepends
(this typically requires a truly significant feature or important bug)

3) The Universe DIF Freeze exception process works as follows: