Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Daniel Holbach

Default ~motu-sru team

Hello everybody,

as decided in one of the last MOTU meetings, we re-introduced the
~motu-sru team. The MC voted the following people into the team:

* Brandon Holtsclaw
* Jordan Mantha
* Luke Yelavich
* Luca Falavigna
* John Dong

Thanks for stepping up and working in this team! You rock! :-)

Have a nice day,
Daniel

Old 12-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday 10 December 2007 02:11, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> as decided in one of the last MOTU meetings, we re-introduced the
> ~motu-sru team. The MC voted the following people into the team:
>
> * Brandon Holtsclaw
> * Jordan Mantha
> * Luke Yelavich
> * Luca Falavigna
> * John Dong

I think these are all good choices, but from a process persective I think this
evolution could have been slightly better.

I would have preferred (and did expect) someone from the MC to write the list
and say something along the lines of:

Here are the people who've volunteered...

We'll be taking a decision on date X. Please let us know on the list (or in
private if needed) any comments you might have.

I'd also like to see such decisions taken transparently in a public forum.
I'm not a fan of secret decision making in FOSS projects.

Scott K

Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Daniel Holbach

Hello Scott,

On Mo, 2007-12-10 at 12:45 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I would have preferred (and did expect) someone from the MC to write the list
> and say something along the lines of:
>
> Here are the people who've volunteered...
>
> We'll be taking a decision on date X. Please let us know on the list (or in
> private if needed) any comments you might have.

I agree that a timely action plan for such votes is needed. For the next
voting process we should have defined time-spans for nominations,
general input and coming to a final decision.

> I'd also like to see such decisions taken transparently in a public forum.

What I personally want to avoid is to have public discussions about the
merits of volunteers as they rarely do good. Giving input and sharing
concerns is all fine and important (also a demonstration of how much you
care about MOTU), but discussing the qualities (or lack thereof)
of people who volunteer to do good work is likely to put people off.

> I'm not a fan of secret decision making in FOSS projects.

This makes it look much worse than it actually is.

Have a nice day,
Daniel

Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 03:57, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello Scott,
> > I'd also like to see such decisions taken transparently in a public
> > forum.
>
> What I personally want to avoid is to have public discussions about the
> merits of volunteers as they rarely do good. Giving input and sharing
> concerns is all fine and important (also a demonstration of how much you
> care about MOTU), but discussing the qualities (or lack thereof)
> of people who volunteer to do good work is likely to put people off.
>
> > I'm not a fan of secret decision making in FOSS projects.
>
> This makes it look much worse than it actually is.

I'm not sure how.

The MC took volunteers and made a decision without there being any publich
record of it. While I don't think there was any problem with the result in
this case, I think that is pretty close to the dictionary defintion of
secret.

I agree that there is a risk of alienating people when you discuss the merits
and demerits of people in public, but you have to balance that against the
benifits of openness.

I believe that, in the long run, while there will be some negatives, the
benifits of an open and transparent community management process are
substantial and will definitely outweight those negatives.

Scott K