-   -   problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/156046-problems.html)

Tomasz Sekula 09-08-2008 10:01 AM

problems

Hello

*I am new to Linux and i been trying to get AMSN to work so i can keep contact to my friends that use msn on windows however every time i try to install it and error occurs it says ERROR: Wrong Architect 'amd64'

What does that mean?

Find great deals on eBay Net yourself a bargain

"venkata krishna" 09-09-2008 03:48 AM

problems

Hi Tomasz

I think you have downloaded the AMSN deb file and trying to install it. Check whether that AMSN is for your version of Ubuntu (64 bit or 32 bit). If your version is 64 bit then you can install deb files of 64 and 32 bit. But if you have 32 bit version then you can intstall only 32 not 64 bit. See the installation media to know whether your ubuntu is 32 bit or 64 bit. Download the corresponding deb file to install it

Or you can use "apt-get install" command to install from the repository

Hope this helped

"Onkar Shinde" 09-09-2008 06:54 AM

problems

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Tomasz Sekula <ponrico@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am new to Linux and i been trying to get AMSN to work so i can keep
> contact to my friends that use msn on windows however every time i try to
> install it and error occurs it says ERROR: Wrong Architect 'amd64'
>
> What does that mean?

amsn is already available in repository. Use System -> Administration
-> Synaptic Package Manager to install it over internet.

Also if you do not specifically want all the functionality that amsn
provides and are happy with text only messenger, then you can use the
default instant messenger client 'pidgin' (Applications -> Internet ->
Pidgin Instant Messenger).

Onkar

"Mauricio Gleizer" 11-17-2008 10:32 AM

Problems

Hello all,

I am try implementig Edubuntu 8.04 in a place 40 km from the city, in
a small village indigenous without access Internet, the clients are
Pentium 200 with 32 MB RAM, and have connection, but fail in
authenticate the users

Already try the commands sudo ltsp-update-sshkeys and sudo
ltsp-update-image --arch i386 (my server is AMD64) but the operation
sometimes OK, sometimes not OK. What is the problem? I need a large
spectre of solutions, because in the local not connections...

--
Mauricio E Gleizer
GULMS

Asmo Koskinen 11-17-2008 10:42 AM

Problems

Mauricio Gleizer kirjoitti:

> Pentium 200 with 32 MB RAM, and have connection, but fail in
> authenticate the users

A workstation Edubuntu system needs at least:
500 Mhz processor
128 MB of RAM
2.1 GB of hard disk space

http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/workstation-hw.html

Are you familiar with LTSP 4.2? Maybe it works?

http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/docs/ltsp-4.1-ptbr.html
http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/docs/ltsp-4.1-en.html

Best Reagards Asmo Koskinen.

Asmo Koskinen 11-17-2008 10:56 AM

Problems

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:

> Mauricio Gleizer kirjoitti:
>
>> Pentium 200 with 32 MB RAM, and have connection, but fail in
>> authenticate the users
>
> A workstation Edubuntu system needs at least:
> 500 Mhz processor
> 128 MB of RAM
> 2.1 GB of hard disk space
>
> http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/workstation-hw.html

My bad. Here is right reference, I hope.

"The bare minimum for a thin client to work is about 48MB, but it will
be unusably slow, so it is recommended to install at least 128MB Ram,
with 256MB Ram if you can spare it. This will really help speed up thin
clients."

http://www.ltsp.org/~sbalneav/LTSPManual.html#AEN231

I'm afraid that you should work with LTSP 4.2.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Gavin McCullagh 11-17-2008 11:08 AM

Problems

Hi,

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Asmo Koskinen wrote:

> Mauricio Gleizer kirjoitti:
>
> > Pentium 200 with 32 MB RAM, and have connection, but fail in
> > authenticate the users
>
> A workstation Edubuntu system needs at least:
> 500 Mhz processor
> 128 MB of RAM
> 2.1 GB of hard disk space
>
> http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/workstation-hw.html

Perhaps I'm reading his message wrong, but I presumed he was using those as
thin clients, not workstations. That would make these hardware
requirements more relevant

http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/server-hw.html#id554925

which for some reason doesn't seem to list RAM as a requirement (I would
have thought 32MB was a little too low). As it's a slow CPU, at a guess,
he'll need to use LDM_DIRECTX.

http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/customizing-thin-client.html

> Are you familiar with LTSP 4.2? Maybe it works?
>
> http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/docs/ltsp-4.1-ptbr.html
> http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/docs/ltsp-4.1-en.html

It might be easier to get going on those old thin clients alright.

Gavin

Asmo Koskinen 11-17-2008 11:17 AM

Problems

Mark Alan 11-17-2008 12:37 PM

Problems

Mauricio Gleizer wrote:
> the operation sometimes OK, sometimes not OK.

Make sure that you do not have any UPS (or any other electrical device
with an inverter inside) near the network switch/routers or cables.
Ideally LTSP cable/switching should be at least 20 cm away from any
inverter or live power line.

M.

Jan Mosterd 12-14-2008 05:09 PM

Problems

Hi, I have 2 questions/problems:*
1. The Citicards website does not work anymore with Ubuntu 8.04, the login portion disappeared after the updates....* I have another computer with Ubunto 7.10 and that works fine.
2. I orderd 2 cd's (one month ago): ** Xubuntu 7.10 CD Item Number: 362{4}81{1}78 (Gutsy Gibbon) Quantity: 1 Total: $3.99 USD Item Name: Ubuntu
8.10 Intrepid & all variations Item Number: 589{4}81{24}178 ()
Quantity: 1 Total: $3.99 USD Cart Subtotal: $7.98 USD Shipping ...
However I received only Xubuntu but never received the Ubuntu 8.10.
I emailed you 3 weeks ago about this problems but no reply.

Please look in these problems,
Thanks you,
Jan Mosterd