Old 11-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Rob Owens

Default problems

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 08:47:07PM +0000, HEDDY, WILLIAM wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I downloaded and installed Debian on my computer last night and I rebooted the computer and now all that comes up is a white cursor on a black screen. Did I just completely kill my Windows 7 operating system?

You probably just messed up the bootloader. Try using Super Grub Boot
Disk -- it'll try to find whatever operating systems are installed on
your hard disk:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/supergrub2diskdownload/

-Rob

Old 11-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Doug

On 11/12/2011 09:18 AM, Rob Owens wrote:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 08:47:07PM +0000, HEDDY, WILLIAM wrote:

To whom it may concern,

I downloaded and installed Debian on my computer last night and I rebooted the computer and now all that comes up is a white cursor on a black screen. Did I just completely kill my Windows 7 operating system?

You probably just messed up the bootloader. Try using Super Grub Boot
Disk -- it'll try to find whatever operating systems are installed on
your hard disk:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/supergrub2diskdownload/

-Rob

Maybe I'm missing something, but that page lists only floppy disk
downloads. If you follow the link to CD-rom booters, you get a Google
list of commercial software. Since many machines no longer boot from
floppies, or don't even have a drive, this isn't very helpful.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A. M. Greeley

Archive: 4EBECD09.1060902@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4EBECD09.1060902@optonline.net

Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
darkestkhan

2011/11/12 Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>:
> On 11/12/2011 09:18 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 08:47:07PM +0000, HEDDY, WILLIAM wrote:
>>>
>>> To whom it may concern,
>>>
>>> I downloaded and installed Debian on my computer last night and I
>>> rebooted the computer and now all that comes up is a white cursor on a black
>>> screen. *Did I just completely kill my Windows 7 operating system?
>>>

>> You probably just messed up the bootloader. *Try using Super Grub Boot
>> Disk -- it'll try to find whatever operating systems are installed on
>> your hard disk:

Sometimes I find that after installing Debian GRUB doesn't list
Windows, to repair it you just need to:
update-grub

in rescue mode (since normal mode doesn't work)
(at least if you didn't erase your Windows system, which some ppl do
hope you did)

Also if you get white cursor on black screen with pristine
installation my guess is that you have NVidia GPU, which needs
firmware from firmware-nonfree to properly work. You can add
nomodesettings in kernel parameters (just after quiet) to fall back
onto vesa driver.

darkestkhan

Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Matias Hick

Hey,
I'm trying to install courier-authlib but after installation it says
"error: command failed to execute correctly".
It looks like it's installed but I also have issues trying to start
authdaemond (chown: invalid user: 'courier:courier').
For any reason, it's expecting to have the courier user created and it's
not. In the archwiki for postfix says nothing about creating that user.
Regards.
Any idea how to solve this?
I'd appreciate your help!
Matt.

--
Live to fight another day.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Matias Hick

I'm sorry for the subject, I pressed send before finishing it :-P

--
Live to fight another day.