-   -   Packaging Jams (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/13905-packaging-jams.html)

Jono Bacon 12-06-2007 05:32 PM

Packaging Jams

Hi all,

One thing we are looking to encourage are Packaging Jams - events that
LoCo teams run that teach a group of people how to get started with MOTU
and Ubuntu Packaging.

I have written up a short guide of how to do this (based on some
guidance from the Michigan LoCo who ran an event) - you can read about
how to organise an event at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/RunningPackagingJam

If you do organise one, be sure to add the date of your event on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Events :)

I would love to see a bunch of LoCo teams volunteer to run events to get
the concept of Packaging Jams off the ground. If you are planning on
running an event, get in touch with me. :)

Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager

Scott Kitterman 12-06-2007 05:36 PM

Packaging Jams

On Thursday 06 December 2007 13:32, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One thing we are looking to encourage are Packaging Jams - events that
> LoCo teams run that teach a group of people how to get started with MOTU
> and Ubuntu Packaging.
>
> I have written up a short guide of how to do this (based on some
> guidance from the Michigan LoCo who ran an event) - you can read about
> how to organise an event at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/RunningPackagingJam
>
> If you do organise one, be sure to add the date of your event on
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Events :)
>
> I would love to see a bunch of LoCo teams volunteer to run events to get
> the concept of Packaging Jams off the ground. If you are planning on
> running an event, get in touch with me. :)

Personally, I think that focusing events like this on bug squashing and
packaging fixing would be more useful for this distribution and easier for
new contributors to get traction on. I think it's more needed to make our
existing packages better than to get more packages into Ubuntu.

Scott K

Jono Bacon 12-06-2007 05:47 PM

Packaging Jams

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 13:36 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Personally, I think that focusing events like this on bug squashing
> and
> packaging fixing would be more useful for this distribution and easier
> for
> new contributors to get traction on. I think it's more needed to make
> our
> existing packages better than to get more packages into Ubuntu.

We can have both - Packaging Jams teach the technical concepts of
packaging, which can be used to fix bugs. We can also continue to run
bug fixing days, and when Packaging Jams are off the ground we can
encourage LoCos to run bug days. :)

Jono