Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 PM
"Mario Limonciello"

Default libdvdcss2 for multiverse

Hi again everyone.

In line with my previous thoughts I was looking more for possibilities to lower barriers requiring the use of medibuntu.* The next item I wanted to address was libdvdcss2, which I'm sure will be stirring a separate discussion. (This is why I'm starting a separate thread for it).

Quoting from http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components:

The "multiverse" component contains software that is "not free",
which means the licensing requirements of this software do not meet the
Ubuntu "main" Component Licence Policy
.

The onus is on you to verify your rights to use this software and comply with the licensing terms of the copyright holder.

This software is not supported and usually cannot be fixed or updated. Use it at your own risk.

The license on the software allows redistribution, the questionable part then becomes copyright and/or patents in some locations.* If users are supposed to verify their rights to use software in multiverse first, What is keeping it from multiverse?*

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1@gmail.com

Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Stephan Hermann

Hi Mario,

Am Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:01:14 -0600
schrieb "Mario Limonciello" <superm1@ubuntu.com>:

> Hi again everyone.
>
> In line with my previous thoughts I was looking more for
> possibilities to lower barriers requiring the use of medibuntu. The
> next item I wanted to address was libdvdcss2, which I'm sure will be
> stirring a separate discussion. (This is why I'm starting a separate
> thread for it).
>
> Quoting from http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components:
>
> The "multiverse" component contains software that is "not free",
> which means
> > the licensing requirements of this software do not meet the Ubuntu
> > "main" Component Licence
> > Policy<http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing>.
> > <http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing>
> >
> > The onus is on you to verify your rights to use this software and
> > comply with the licensing terms of the copyright holder.
> >
> > This software is not supported and usually cannot be fixed or
> > updated. Use it at your own risk.
> >
> The license on the software allows redistribution, the questionable
> part then becomes copyright and/or patents in some locations. If
> users are supposed to verify their rights to use software in
> multiverse first, What is keeping it from multiverse?

The software itself is not the problem, imho. The problem is, that css2
(the purpose of this software) is totally illegal in many countries.
Which means, even the usage or the distribution is illegal.

IMHO, it will go like that: some strange american lawyer, paid by media
industry, will sue canonical as sponsor and main developer company
behind ubuntu, and I don't think nobody wants to see this happen.

css2 is a very special case. But it's easy, even for
non-well-knowledged people to install it manually from other
repositories.

And, don't by crypted dvds ,-)

sh

Old 11-20-2007, 03:17 PM
John Dong

Medibuntu is managed by competent, trustworthy hands whom we are familiar
with. Is there anything wrong with having our automatic codec installer system
be able to put in medibuntu sources? AFAIK distributing a script to find stuff
like this is not illegal (OpenSuse is doing it in North America, heck
libdvdread3 already does this but fetches a Debian libdvdcss2 package)

Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Stephan Hermann

Hi John,

Am Dienstag, den 20.11.2007, 11:17 -0500 schrieb John Dong:
> Medibuntu is managed by competent, trustworthy hands whom we are familiar
> with. Is there anything wrong with having our automatic codec installer system
> be able to put in medibuntu sources? AFAIK distributing a script to find stuff
> like this is not illegal (OpenSuse is doing it in North America, heck
> libdvdread3 already does this but fetches a Debian libdvdcss2 package)

The problem is not the source or the package. As Siretart told Mario on
irc, too.
The problem is, that what css2 is doing. this is illegal in some
countries all over the world.

Therefore, we can fetch via postinstall script those packages, sure,
because then it's not coming from us, and we don't distribute it.
Referencing to other sources should be legal in most of the world
countries

Regards,

sh

Old 11-20-2007, 06:57 PM
John Dong

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:26:22PM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 20.11.2007, 11:17 -0500 schrieb John Dong:
> > Medibuntu is managed by competent, trustworthy hands whom we are familiar
> > with. Is there anything wrong with having our automatic codec installer system
> > be able to put in medibuntu sources? AFAIK distributing a script to find stuff
> > like this is not illegal (OpenSuse is doing it in North America, heck
> > libdvdread3 already does this but fetches a Debian libdvdcss2 package)
> >

> The problem is not the source or the package. As Siretart told Mario on
> irc, too.
> The problem is, that what css2 is doing. this is illegal in some
> countries all over the world.

I understand that css's actions are legally troublesome in many
countries.
> Therefore, we can fetch via postinstall script those packages, sure,
> because then it's not coming from us, and we don't distribute it.
> Referencing to other sources should be legal in most of the world
> countries

Yeah, I'm thinking at this point there's few excuses why we can't have a
postinstall fetcher a la flashplugin-nonfree to circumvent that problem.