Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 AM
"Michael Casadevall"

Default Fwd: The REVU upgrade thread

As anyone who've been following along in #ubuntu-motu, I've been
working to roll out a series of upgrades to REVU in a hope to bring it

more in line with 2008 in terms of usably and look. The first of these

major updates, openid based login to Launchpad, hit production today,
and has brought up some concerns.

The largest one is that Launchpad's openID server is incompable with
NoScript because OpenID requires a POST to the Launchpad login server.

As I don't use NoScript (I find AdBlock Plus alone works well enough),
this went by undetected by both myself and anyone who* beta
tested the code.

Personally, I don't believe that its too much to ask to require people

put a noscript exception given the fact that by using OpenID since it
allows removal of* revu-uploaders (the current production REVU
doesn't use the revu-uploaders group in any way)

As we al know, REVU historically has required you to join

revu-uploaders, and then hunt down an admin to get your key synced or
updated, which I always felt was klunky, and rather clumsy way to do
things. Now that REVU uses Launchpad IDs, it also grabs and
imports/updates GPG keys as needed on each login from the individual

users page, which I find is a much sleeker solution. It was pointed
out to me though that having revu-uploaders though allows people to
see how you have to be a member of a special group to commit to the
archive. I personally don't see the point, as you still need to manage

a username and password on REVU, and the upside of instant key syncs
greatly outweights the downside or requiring finding an admin or
waiting 24 hours for a key sync.

Finally, I figure it should be addresses is that REVU also got a face

lift concluding the openid upgrade. This was based off quite a few
people's wishs who saw the new look on my beta server , and thus
pushed it out to the production server. This skin is still a work in
progress (and a tan option will be made available soon wish). Anyone

wishing to comment on the new layout is free to either leave comments
here, or (perferably) again the "REVU is ugly" bug. If enough people
feel we should return to the old skin, I have no problem rolling it

back.

Michael
IRC: NCommander
LP: sonicmctails

Old 07-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Jonathan Marsden

Michael Casadevall wrote:

> As we al know, REVU historically has required you to join
> revu-uploaders, and then hunt down an admin to get your key synced or
> updated, which I always felt was klunky, and rather clumsy way to do
> things. Now that REVU uses Launchpad IDs, it also grabs and
> imports/updates GPG keys as needed on each login from the individual
> users page, which I find is a much sleeker solution.

Definitely :-) Sleeker still would be to also do the import/update of
GPG key upon an upload using dput, so that attempted uploads from
newcomers "just work" rather than being rejected with no clear
notification to the uploader. See LP: #250164 . More generally, making
it easier for newcomers who want to contribute to the bug fixing and
packaging process like this is IMO well worth the effort; current
barriers to entry are somewhat high.

> It was pointed out to me though that having revu-uploaders though
> allows people to see how you have to be a member of a special group
> to commit to the archive.

Could the REVU login code query LP to determine "is this person a member
of revu-uploaders", and if the answer is no, display something to the
user who is attempting to log in, asking them to please subscribe to
that group (maybe include a direct subscribe link to it, even)? This
way, you would get the best of both worlds: only one login to manage, no
manual keyring sync delays, *and* a "special group" for REVU uploaders,
for those who feel that has value.

> This skin is still a work in progress (and a tan option will be made
> available soon wish).

The colour is less critical (to me) than the overall layout and
information being presented. I think the new skin is a useful
improvement; I also think you'll meet resistance unless you soon give
people a way to set a preference for their REVU skin (theme) of choice.

Good work!

Jonathan

Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Alan Munson

I like this idea as well, I wonder how hard it would be to implement and
what all we/they would have to take down to do so. Good thinking!

Old 07-27-2008, 01:51 AM
"Michael Casadevall"

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@fastmail.fm> wrote:
Michael Casadevall wrote:

> As we al know, REVU historically has required you to join
> revu-uploaders, and then hunt down an admin to get your key synced or
> updated, which I always felt was klunky, and rather clumsy way to do

> things. Now that REVU uses Launchpad IDs, it also grabs and
> imports/updates GPG keys as needed on each login from the individual
> users page, which I find is a much sleeker solution.

Definitely :-) *Sleeker still would be to also do the import/update of

GPG key upon an upload using dput, so that attempted uploads from
newcomers "just work" rather than being rejected with no clear
notification to the uploader. See LP: #250164 . *More generally, making
it easier for newcomers who want to contribute to the bug fixing and

packaging process like this is IMO well worth the effort; current
barriers to entry are somewhat high.
There isn't a way I know to get the key from a fingerprint in the
changes file. If there is
we could look into implementing that. As for silent rejections, that

will hopefully be fixed
once REVU actually has some concept of a mailing system and learns how
to send mails

> *It was pointed out to me though that having revu-uploaders though
> *allows people to see how you have to be a member of a special group

> *to commit to the archive.

Could the REVU login code query LP to determine "is this person a member
of revu-uploaders", and if the answer is no, display something to the
user who is attempting to log in, asking them to please subscribe to

that group (maybe include a direct subscribe link to it, even)? *This
way, you would get the best of both worlds: only one login to manage, no
manual keyring sync delays, *and* a "special group" for REVU uploaders,

for those who feel that has value.

I thought about it, but the only official query to query Launchpad
about a group* is to read its RDF page, which in the case of
revu-uploadres is slightly under a megabyte. Downloading aside,

parsing that monster would probably bring spooky to its knees.

> *This skin is still a work in progress (and a tan option will be made
> *available soon wish).

The colour is less critical (to me) than the overall layout and

information being presented. *I think the new skin is a useful
improvement; I also think you'll meet resistance unless you soon give
people a way to set a preference for their REVU skin (theme) of choice.

There are plans for that in the work, but I just needed to debrownify
it; I felt my life slowly being drowned away in brown.
*

Good work!

Jonathan

- --
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Old 07-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Matvey Kozhev

I seem to have lost my MOTU capabilities on REVU with the upgrade. Could someone
look into this? My LP/REVU id is sikon.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Sunday 27 July 2008 12:57, Matvey Kozhev wrote:
> I seem to have lost my MOTU capabilities on REVU with the upgrade. Could
> someone look into this? My LP/REVU id is sikon.

Did you merge your accounts?

Scott K