Old 07-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Ben Finney

Default Good communication with upstream is good idea

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> The Debian BTS should *only* report problems that can be solved from
> within Debian, otherwise it's useless noise that leads to that
> section being ignored even when it might have something important to
> say.

That should of course say “The Debian PTS should …”.

--
“Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather |
` straps.” —Emo Philips |

Old 07-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Russ Allbery

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

>> The Debian BTS should *only* report problems that can be solved from
>> within Debian, otherwise it's useless noise that leads to that section
>> being ignored even when it might have something important to say.
>
> That should of course say “The Debian PTS should …”.

Adding an alternative data point here... I was happy to see the Ubuntu bug
count added to the PTS since it uncovered Ubuntu bugs in several of my
packages, many of which I could easily comment on and recommend closing
and some of which were legitimate bugs.

I would have preferred to have gotten those bug reports more directly, but
given the choice between having to log on to Launchpad and check or
subscribe to each package I maintain and looking in the PTS, I prefer the
latter, even if I don't have as a goal getting the Ubuntu bug count to 0.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 AM
Charles Plessy

Le Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 01:43:13PM -0700, Steve Langasek a crit :

> You can close Launchpad bugs in Ubuntu packages from Debian. The "LP: ######"
> syntax lets bugs get autoclosed when your package is synced to Debian, or
> when it's merged by an Ubuntu developer.

Interesting...

Does it work exactly like for the Debian BTS: i.e. it must be part of
the .changes files? I ask the question because for the primer3 package,
a Ubuntu user contacted Upstream for LP:191053, Upstream released a new
version that I packaged, but the Ubuntu user did not close the Launchpad
bug. In the next Debian upload, I can add a LP: 191053 tag in the
changelog, but if it is not associated with the upload that actually
corrected the bug it will be messy. If I add it deeper in the Debian
changelog, will it do its magic?

(Or maybe the simplest is simply to notify MOTU science? Hello, MOTU
science

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian-Med packaging team,

Old 07-21-2008, 02:51 AM
William Pitcock

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 11:45 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 01:43:13PM -0700, Steve Langasek a crit :
> >
> > You can close Launchpad bugs in Ubuntu packages from Debian. The "LP: ######"
> > syntax lets bugs get autoclosed when your package is synced to Debian, or
> > when it's merged by an Ubuntu developer.
>
> Interesting...
>
> Does it work exactly like for the Debian BTS: i.e. it must be part of
> the .changes files? I ask the question because for the primer3 package,
> a Ubuntu user contacted Upstream for LP:191053, Upstream released a new
> version that I packaged, but the Ubuntu user did not close the Launchpad
> bug. In the next Debian upload, I can add a LP: 191053 tag in the
> changelog, but if it is not associated with the upload that actually
> corrected the bug it will be messy. If I add it deeper in the Debian
> changelog, will it do its magic?

It has to be in the .changes file. It works exactly like DAK's behaviour
for bug closing.

William

Old 07-21-2008, 04:42 AM
"Kartik Mistry"

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> You can close Launchpad bugs in Ubuntu packages from Debian. The "LP: ######"
> syntax lets bugs get autoclosed when your package is synced to Debian, or
> when it's merged by an Ubuntu developer.

Thanks Steve, for this.
I can now close bugs without worrying and not having LP account!

--
Cheers,
Kartik Mistry | 0xD1028C8D | IRC: kart_

Old 07-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Thomas Viehmann

Ben Finney wrote:
> The Debian BTS should *only* report problems that can be solved from
> within Debian, otherwise it's useless noise that leads to that section
> being ignored even when it might have something important to say.
>
> However, the above bug in the Debian BTS has been archived. Must we
> open another bug to ask for the change to be reverted?
No. It has been discussed on debian-qa and the outcome is the present.
Unless there are some brand new reasons it makes no sense to revisit
this issue every month.

If it hurts you that much, use
http://people.debian.org/~tviehmann/debian-pts.user.js
or something similar.