Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 AM
"Emmet Hikory"

Default MOTU Leadership Teams - Membership Policy

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Is there a maximum term before one must stand for election again or is it
> until one quits/some MOTU asks to have you out?

I proposed no maximum. If someone remains interested, is not
asked to resign, and is able to continue to be one of the winners for
any elections forced by the team size limit, I don't see why they
oughtn't remain on the team indefinitely. Further, I expect that the
experience gained over a long term, if appropriately combined with
both interest and peer support, ought make one better at the tasks
handled by the team.

This is roughly the same as asking the question: if someone wants
the job, hasn't been making mistakes, and remains preferred by MOTU
over other volunteers, why wouldn't we wish that person to continue
regardless of any arbitrary procedural deadline?

Luca Falavigna wrote:
> If I understand this rigth, a single MOTU can veto a candidate.
> Shouldn't this be granted only if several MOTUs disagree with the
> application? Having a single person blocking a election can lead to
> deadlocks: if I'm against a given candidate, he/she won't be able to be
> elected as long as I oppose to it.
> I think this will never happen in real world, though.

I agree with your thought. Essentially, I trust all MOTU to
exercise their right of objection only when they have specific
credible reasons to do so. During the discussion period, I would
expect those MOTU who are uncertain to ask questions of the candidate
(which if unanswered may well lead to an objection) to ensure their
concerns are met. In the case where there is an objection that other
MOTU feel is inappropriate, this can be discussed, and perhaps the
objector will retract the objection. In the extreme case where the
application of a candidate led to strong arguments for and against, I
would expect escalation to MOTU Council under dispute resolution to
resolve the dispute (although except in the case of excessive
recalcitrance on the part of a difficullt objector, I would expect the
candidate to withdraw first, as few remain motivated while the topic
of a heated debate).

Note that regardless of my opinions, with such a model it is
indeed possible for any single MOTU to completely block the selection
process (by objecting to all volunteers regardless of qualifications).
Rather than considering this to be a fault of the process, I would
rather question why that MOTU feels it necessary, and if this cannot
be resolved, whether that individual should be MOTU if they are unable
to work with the team (assuming the remainder of MOTU would rather
proceed). I don't expect this to happen, and if it does, I don't
expect the issues causing the repeated groundless objections to be
insoluable.

--
Emmet HIKORY

Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 AM
"Emmet Hikory"

Stefan Potyra wrote:
> as I've been quite puzzled by the mail in the first place, I'd thought I make
> it a little bit more clear what was discussed during the meeting and what was
> Emmet's action to take after the meeting (i.e. to write a proposal).

Thanks for the clarification, and my apologies to all if this
appeared to be the proposal as a result of the MOTU Meeting rather
than just one of many discussed options.

> To clear up: below is Emmet's proposal:

I have to give Jordan credit for fleshing out my original "I don't
really like voting, and think people should volunteer for stuff"
position into something more concrete (although he may not agree with
the final result: I've not asked for a draft review).

Also, my understanding from the meeting was that this was to be
one proposal of many. I'd like to see others, so we might select that
which we believe to be best. Some possible candidates which could be
fleshed out to describe a process:

A) Fixed terms with some election process at each term end
B) Appointment of team members by MOTU Council
C) Selection of team replacements by existing team members
(alternately with confirmation positive/negative by MOTU for each
proposed selection)
D) Floating terms with some election process after each resignation
E) multicandidate election from amoung all MOTU each cycle (where the
top N winners are on the team (and voters are expected to vote for
each other MOTU (possibly indicating that a given individual should
not win))).
F) Don't bother with a policy, and use the regular MOTU decision
making process to select/change team memberships whenever we decide to
have a thread about it.

This is not intended as a comprehensive list, nor does it
represent my support of the above described options: it's more
intended as examples in the hopes that others who would prefer a
specific different policy present that for discussion (as much as I
dislike voting, I dislike independent binary decisions on a successive
set of options more: eventually we all get annoyed with how many
options we've seen and approve the next one just to end the option
selection process, rather than on the merits of that specific option).

--
Emmet HIKORY

Old 07-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Luca Falavigna