Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Cesare Tirabassi

Default New model for the mentoring program

Dear all,

the current mentoring program has been in place for about one year.

During this time several shortcomings of this model have become evident,
especially as the number of new contributors grow. The alternative sponsoring
model is also felt quite inadequate, especially for new contributors and
contributors which are on their way to motuship.

What is evident today, is that:

- Some MOTU have weaknesses in certain skill areas
- Those potential contributors who are not self-starters aren't getting
started
- There is an insufficient number of volunteers to act as Mentors
- There is an insufficient number of volunteers to teach MOTU School classes
- Many existing contributors have difficulty reaching a sufficient skill level
to apply for MOTU

With the introduction of the ubuntu-universe-contributors team, it is finally
time that we implement the new structure, as we already discussed in [1] and
[2].

Our proposal is to split the Mentoring program into two parts:

- a program to help new contributors who wish personal attention when starting
- a program to help established contributors who wish personal guidance when
applying for motuship

Furthermore, stronger ties with the current MOTU School program will be
established.
All participants in the Mentoring program will be expected to attend MOTU
School sessions, and those not in regular attendance may no longer be
eligible for Mentoring.
All contributors alike are expected to take an active role in preparing and
giving sessions on fields where they are particularly experienced, as well as
in general Q&A sessions.

The new program is detailed in:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Mentoring/NewModel

Before finally implementing this change, we would like to hear from you, MOTU
and contributors alike, if you have any remaining objections or comment.

Cesare

[1]https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu-mentors/2007-October/000153.html
[2]https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2007-November/002728.html

Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Hanno Stock

First let me tell you, that overall I think that the current proposal is
a good idea.

Cesare Tirabassi schrieb:
> All participants in the Mentoring program will be expected to attend MOTU
> School sessions, and those not in regular attendance may no longer be
> eligible for Mentoring.

I noticed that the MOTU school sessions often are during work hours (of
course, since developers are scattered across all timezones). How are
you about to address this problem?

Greetings,

Hanno

Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM
"Nicolas Valcarcel"

That actually depends on the talker, we can't say them when to give
the sessions. Also keep in mind that work hours in my timezone may not
be at yours, so it's really difficult to manage.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Hanno Stock

Nicolas Valcarcel schrieb:
> That actually depends on the talker, we can't say them when to give
> the sessions. Also keep in mind that work hours in my timezone may not
> be at yours, so it's really difficult to manage.

I just mentioned it, because I thought that might need further
discussion, depending on how strictly the regular attendance is enforced.
Generally I think it is a good idea, to expect attendance to MOTU
school. However people willing to contribute despite having a day job
and/or other obligations should not be excepted from Mentoring.
I'd suggest some other way of showing the willingness to enhance one's
skills like doing a test or submitting some kind of "homework", in the
case attendance to school was not possible.

Greetings,

Hanno

Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 AM
James D Carroll

I'm new to Linux/Ubuntu and an aspiring MOTU. I've tried to get started
down the MOTU path (read some of the packaging doc and followed along
with the YouTube videos), but it just seems like so much; its
bewildering to the point where I don't feel I can even ask an
intelligent question. Not knowing the old model, I can't say if the new
one will be better. I will say, though, that if the key difference is a
_commitment_ to _progress_ then sign me up!

James

Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
James Westby

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 20:43 +0200, Hanno Stock wrote:
> I noticed that the MOTU school sessions often are during work hours (of
> course, since developers are scattered across all timezones). How are
> you about to address this problem?

As you note the sessions will always be during someone's work hours.
What we will try and do is rotate the sessions, such that everyone
can attend at least some of them.

Thanks,

James

Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
"Nathan Handler"

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Hanno Stock <hanno.stock@gmx.net> wrote:
> I just mentioned it, because I thought that might need further
> discussion, depending on how strictly the regular attendance is enforced.
> Generally I think it is a good idea, to expect attendance to MOTU
> school. However people willing to contribute despite having a day job
> and/or other obligations should not be excepted from Mentoring.
> I'd suggest some other way of showing the willingness to enhance one's
> skills like doing a test or submitting some kind of "homework", in the
> case attendance to school was not possible.

I definitely agree that it is not reasonable to expect new
contributors to be able to attend the MOTU school sessions. There have
been many MOTU school sessions that I have wanted to attend in the
past. However, for the most part, they either occurred while I was
sleeping, or when I had other commitments. As a result, I was usually
unable to attend. To make up for this, I read the IRC log of the
lesson once it got added to the wiki. If we decide to test the user on
the material that was taught at the MOTU school session, I do not
think we should make the test too difficult. This is due to the fact
that if they were not able to attend the session, they also were not
able to ask questions about the session. I think the test should only
ask questions that can be easily answered by reading the IRC log. This
will show that the new contributor has taken the time to read through
the log, and that they have a basic understanding of the topic.

Nathan Handler