FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Kernel Team

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"
 
Default Quicklaunch mockuo

I use this most of the time. Create spare panel, put shortcuts on it,
set icon size to huge and make panel autohide.

On 6/3/08, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Hosted it here:
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=82467
>
> This mockup shows my idea of a quicklaunch. With today's
> quicklaunch you have several icons always in your screen while you
> probably just use a few of them and and wouldn't mind them being gone
> when you don't usThis mockup shows my idea of a quicklaunch. With
> today's quicklaunch you have several icons always in your screen while
> you probably just use a few of them and and wouldn't mind them being
> gone when you don't use it.
>
> What you see.
> My idea here is that when you move your mouse to the lower left corner
> of your screen that you will get this popup cloud which will show you
> the available quicklaunch applications and will vanish once you move
> your mouse out of the popup area.
>
> Is this possible to make?
> Deffinately yes!
> In compiz fusion you can push your mouse to the upper right corner
> that will give you a alternative ALT + TAB so that idea can be used
> for the lower left as well. This popup dialog can probably be made in
> pure GTK+ only but then won't have the black drop down shadow
> (obviously).
>
> Why in the lower left corner?
> Well, somehow whenever i want to start a application from the
> quicklaunch applet i tend to go to the lower left corner for whatever
> reason.. so it's probably intuitive (atleast for me) to go to the
> lowerleft corner if you want to start an application quickly.
>
> So what do you think of this mockup?e it.
>
> What you see.
> My idea here is that when you move your mouse to the lower left corner
> of your screen that you will get this popup cloud which will show you
> the available quicklaunch applications and will vanish once you move
> your mouse out of the popup area.
>
> Is this possible to make?
> Definitely yes!
> In compiz fusion you can push your mouse to the upper right corner
> that will give you a alternative ALT + TAB so that idea can be used
> for the lower left as well. This popup dialog can probably be made in
> pure GTK+ only but then won't have the black drop down shadow
> (obviously).
>
> Why in the lower left corner?
> Well, somehow whenever i want to start a application from the
> quicklaunch applet i tend to go to the lower left corner for whatever
> reason.. so it's probably intuitive (atleast for me) to go to the
> lowerleft corner if you want to start an application quickly.
>
> So what do you think of this mockup?
>
> _______________________________________________
> Fedora-art-list mailing list
> Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
> http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
>


--
http://scwlab.com

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Martin Sourada
 
Default Quicklaunch mockuo

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 01:03 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> I use this most of the time. Create spare panel, put shortcuts on it,
> set icon size to huge and make panel autohide.

I use semi-transparent panel 32 px height for that purpose without
auto-hide. It actually looks quite good and serves right for the
quick-launch purpose. I don't need to wait until it appears, just click
one the icon and it's lunched... For my current setting (I only slightly
alter the applications in quick-launch over time) take a look e.g. at my
fedorapeople page [1].

I find the layout I've chosen quite effective and nice, after all it's
became like that after many iterations made with the sole purpose to
improve my experience with gnome ;-)

So as you (Mark) suggest the idea of new quick launch a don't find any
advantages over my current set-up and I think it sort of beats the
purpose of quick launch... I could as well add a drawer to panel and
have all the quick launch icons hidden there and it would serve the
purpose just as well and would be even quicker (even though it would
require one mouse click more) to use...

But that's just mine personal opinion, don't heed it if you don't like
it ;-)

Martin

References:
[1] http://mso.fedorapeople.org/nodoka/notify/preview/Screenshot.png
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Martin Sourada
 
Default Quicklaunch mockuo

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 23:14 +0200, Mark wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Hosted it here:
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=82467
>
> This mockup shows my idea of a quicklaunch. With today's
> quicklaunch you have several icons always in your screen while you
> probably just use a few of them and and wouldn't mind them being gone
> when you don't usThis mockup shows my idea of a quicklaunch. With
> today's quicklaunch you have several icons always in your screen while
> you probably just use a few of them and and wouldn't mind them being
> gone when you don't use it.
>
> What you see.
> My idea here is that when you move your mouse to the lower left corner
> of your screen that you will get this popup cloud which will show you
> the available quicklaunch applications and will vanish once you move
> your mouse out of the popup area.
>
> Is this possible to make?
> Deffinately yes!
> In compiz fusion you can push your mouse to the upper right corner
> that will give you a alternative ALT + TAB so that idea can be used
> for the lower left as well. This popup dialog can probably be made in
> pure GTK+ only but then won't have the black drop down shadow
> (obviously).
>
> Why in the lower left corner?
> Well, somehow whenever i want to start a application from the
> quicklaunch applet i tend to go to the lower left corner for whatever
> reason.. so it's probably intuitive (atleast for me) to go to the
> lowerleft corner if you want to start an application quickly.
>
> So what do you think of this mockup?e it.
>
> What you see.
> My idea here is that when you move your mouse to the lower left corner
> of your screen that you will get this popup cloud which will show you
> the available quicklaunch applications and will vanish once you move
> your mouse out of the popup area.
>
> Is this possible to make?
> Definitely yes!
> In compiz fusion you can push your mouse to the upper right corner
> that will give you a alternative ALT + TAB so that idea can be used
> for the lower left as well. This popup dialog can probably be made in
> pure GTK+ only but then won't have the black drop down shadow
> (obviously).
>
> Why in the lower left corner?
> Well, somehow whenever i want to start a application from the
> quicklaunch applet i tend to go to the lower left corner for whatever
> reason.. so it's probably intuitive (atleast for me) to go to the
> lowerleft corner if you want to start an application quickly.
>
> So what do you think of this mockup?
>
I cannot help but to ask, was there some fishy (unintentional)
copy&paste done here? There is a lot of text written twice and I find it
rather hard to follow, though with some effort I can get what you are
trying to say ;-)

Martin
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Mark
 
Default Quicklaunch mockuo

2008/6/3 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 23:14 +0200, Mark wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Hosted it here:
>> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=82467
>>
>> This mockup shows my idea of a quicklaunch. With today's
>> quicklaunch you have several icons always in your screen while you
>> probably just use a few of them and and wouldn't mind them being gone
>> when you don't usThis mockup shows my idea of a quicklaunch. With
>> today's quicklaunch you have several icons always in your screen while
>> you probably just use a few of them and and wouldn't mind them being
>> gone when you don't use it.
>>
>> What you see.
>> My idea here is that when you move your mouse to the lower left corner
>> of your screen that you will get this popup cloud which will show you
>> the available quicklaunch applications and will vanish once you move
>> your mouse out of the popup area.
>>
>> Is this possible to make?
>> Deffinately yes!
>> In compiz fusion you can push your mouse to the upper right corner
>> that will give you a alternative ALT + TAB so that idea can be used
>> for the lower left as well. This popup dialog can probably be made in
>> pure GTK+ only but then won't have the black drop down shadow
>> (obviously).
>>
>> Why in the lower left corner?
>> Well, somehow whenever i want to start a application from the
>> quicklaunch applet i tend to go to the lower left corner for whatever
>> reason.. so it's probably intuitive (atleast for me) to go to the
>> lowerleft corner if you want to start an application quickly.
>>
>> So what do you think of this mockup?e it.
>>
>> What you see.
>> My idea here is that when you move your mouse to the lower left corner
>> of your screen that you will get this popup cloud which will show you
>> the available quicklaunch applications and will vanish once you move
>> your mouse out of the popup area.
>>
>> Is this possible to make?
>> Definitely yes!
>> In compiz fusion you can push your mouse to the upper right corner
>> that will give you a alternative ALT + TAB so that idea can be used
>> for the lower left as well. This popup dialog can probably be made in
>> pure GTK+ only but then won't have the black drop down shadow
>> (obviously).
>>
>> Why in the lower left corner?
>> Well, somehow whenever i want to start a application from the
>> quicklaunch applet i tend to go to the lower left corner for whatever
>> reason.. so it's probably intuitive (atleast for me) to go to the
>> lowerleft corner if you want to start an application quickly.
>>
>> So what do you think of this mockup?
>>
> I cannot help but to ask, was there some fishy (unintentional)
> copy&paste done here? There is a lot of text written twice and I find it
> rather hard to follow, though with some effort I can get what you are
> trying to say ;-)
>
> Martin

yea some copy&paste indeed.. strange.. this is how it's supposed to be:

================================================== =================
This mockup shows my idea of a quicklaunch. With today's quicklaunch
you have several icons always in your screen while you probably just
use a few of them and and wouldn't mind them being gone when you don't
use it.

What you see.
My idea here is that when you move your mouse to the lower left corner
of your screen that you will get this popup cloud which will show you
the available quicklaunch applications and will vanish once you move
your mouse out of the popup area.

Is this possible to make?
This mockup shows my idea of a quicklaunch. With today's quicklaunch
you have several icons always in your screen while you probably just
use a few of them and and wouldn't mind them being gone when you don't
use it.

What you see.
My idea here is that when you move your mouse to the lower left corner
of your screen that you will get this popup cloud which will show you
the available quicklaunch applications and will vanish once you move
your mouse out of the popup area.

Is this possible to make?
Deffinately yes!
In compiz fusion you can push your mouse to the upper right corner
that will give you a alternative ALT + TAB so that idea can be used
for the lower left as well. This popup dialog can probably be made in
pure GTK+ only but then won't have the black drop down shadow
(obviously).

Why in the lower left corner?
Well, somehow whenever i want to start a application from the
quicklaunch applet i tend to go to the lower left corner for whatever
reason.. so it's probably intuitive (atleast for me) to go to the
lowerleft corner if you want to start an application quickly.

So what do you think of this mockup?
================================================== =================

Your version looks good as well.. in the end this is all just a mather
of taste..
Also my purpose with this idea is to get rid of those icons that you
don't use often anyway.
The advantage (for me) is that the space used up by the current
quicklaunch can than be used by other things more important. In your
case you make it worse.. you dedicate a full panel to quicklaunch
stuff and have it in your screen al the time. i want the opposite of
that (which you can achieve by just auto hiding the panel).. Also
making it look fancy suits me better just a ordinary plain panel
isn't my style ^_^

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Martin Sourada
 
Default Quicklaunch mockuo

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 00:40 +0200, Mark wrote:
> Your version looks good as well.. in the end this is all just a mather
> of taste..
> Also my purpose with this idea is to get rid of those icons that you
> don't use often anyway.
> The advantage (for me) is that the space used up by the current
> quicklaunch can than be used by other things more important. In your
> case you make it worse.. you dedicate a full panel to quicklaunch
> stuff and have it in your screen al the time. i want the opposite of
> that (which you can achieve by just auto hiding the panel).. Also
> making it look fancy suits me better just a ordinary plain panel
> isn't my style ^_^
>
Well, I like having two panels and I hate to wait until they appear.
That's why I don't autohide them. I also like to have applications I use
regularly easily accessible - and it's that lot of icons you see in the
screen-shot. Also I don't like nearly empty panel - it's boring. And of
course I like some of the panel applets. And last, but not least, I find
6 virtual desktops to be just the right number for me. And after many
iterations I ended up with a layout like you saw.

I have nice big icons, bottom panel with sort of macy style
(semi-transparent background). It looks even more awesome with
compositing enabled (but I don't use compositing for various purposes).
And fast access to everything I use from notify, through trash, quick
launch and virtual desktop switcher, through network monitor and window
list to gnome menu :-D And it occupies as much space as I find nice...
Also, which is not seen on the screen shot, in the bottom right corner
when I attach an usb drive, or put an optical media in, disk mounter
applet with fast access to basic actions like open/eject/unmount
appears.

Only one thing that my current layout lacks is a fancy top panel, but I
don't mind the plain colour one much and I am too lazy to make it look
otherwise :-D

But as you said, it's a matter of taste.

Martin
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 06-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Mark
 
Default Quicklaunch mockuo

2008/6/3 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> Well, I like having two panels and I hate to wait until they appear.
> That's why I don't autohide them. I also like to have applications I use
> regularly easily accessible - and it's that lot of icons you see in the
> screen-shot. Also I don't like nearly empty panel - it's boring. And of
> course I like some of the panel applets. And last, but not least, I find
> 6 virtual desktops to be just the right number for me. And after many
> iterations I ended up with a layout like you saw.
>
> I have nice big icons, bottom panel with sort of macy style
> (semi-transparent background). It looks even more awesome with
> compositing enabled (but I don't use compositing for various purposes).
> And fast access to everything I use from notify, through trash, quick
> launch and virtual desktop switcher, through network monitor and window
> list to gnome menu :-D And it occupies as much space as I find nice...
> Also, which is not seen on the screen shot, in the bottom right corner
> when I attach an usb drive, or put an optical media in, disk mounter
> applet with fast access to basic actions like open/eject/unmount
> appears.
>
> Only one thing that my current layout lacks is a fancy top panel, but I
> don't mind the plain colour one much and I am too lazy to make it look
> otherwise :-D
>
> But as you said, it's a matter of taste.

Don't get me wrong.. i don't like to auto hide my applets (so i don't
do it ^_^) but i do like to get rid if things that use space. With the
exception of __one__ panel (i must admit i have 2 panels now) but
other then that i like to keep it as clean as possible. So: 1 icon for
the menu, no quick launch icons (assuming it's popping out from the
lower left corner like i showed in the mockup) and nicely glassy
themed. You could say partly vista under linux.

Something different.. i have no idea what all went wrong in the first
post of this tread but it all looks messed up (like you found out)..
even the title.

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org