Old 05-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Dan Munckton

Default What's the plan for the linux-ports source package?

Hi Ben

I've noticed a new linux-ports source package has appeared both on
kernel.ubuntu.com [0] and on LP [1].

Is there a plan to keep a totally separate linux source shared only by
the "community maintained" ports?

Cheers

Dan

[0]
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-intrepid-ports.git;a=summary
[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ports

Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Ben Collins

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 09:42 +0100, Dan Munckton wrote:
> Hi Ben
>
> I've noticed a new linux-ports source package has appeared both on
> kernel.ubuntu.com [0] and on LP [1].
>
> Is there a plan to keep a totally separate linux source shared only by
> the "community maintained" ports?

Yes. Only the primary flavors in i386 and amd64 will be supported in the
main package.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Dan Munckton

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 20:10 -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 09:42 +0100, Dan Munckton wrote:
> > Hi Ben
> >
> > I've noticed a new linux-ports source package has appeared both on
> > kernel.ubuntu.com [0] and on LP [1].
> >
> > Is there a plan to keep a totally separate linux source shared only by
> > the "community maintained" ports?
>
> Yes. Only the primary flavors in i386 and amd64 will be supported in the
> main package.

So how will security/feature updates be synced between the two kernels?
Who would be responsible for that - kernel team or someone from one of
the ports teams?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Ben Collins

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 09:28 +0100, Dan Munckton wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 20:10 -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 09:42 +0100, Dan Munckton wrote:
> > > Hi Ben
> > >
> > > I've noticed a new linux-ports source package has appeared both on
> > > kernel.ubuntu.com [0] and on LP [1].
> > >
> > > Is there a plan to keep a totally separate linux source shared only by
> > > the "community maintained" ports?
> >
> > Yes. Only the primary flavors in i386 and amd64 will be supported in the
> > main package.
>
> So how will security/feature updates be synced between the two kernels?
> Who would be responsible for that - kernel team or someone from one of
> the ports teams?

We will make a best effort to do security patches and uploads, but would
prefer ports maintainers to do it. In an LTS release, linux-ports will
not be supported for as long as a normal LTS cycle.