-   -   Linux module compilation (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/9254-linux-module-compilation.html)

"Sachin Gaikwad" 11-30-2007 03:16 PM

Linux module compilation

Hi all,

I am very new to ubuntu kernel compilation stuff. I apologize in
advance if this is very novice question. But I did search a lot for it
on google/ubuntu site/forums/ arhieve.

I did read wiki page of kernel compilation:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

What I want to do ?
1) I want to generate vmlinux and initrd.gz files (for generic flavour)
2) I also want to build linux ubuntu modules.

What I did ? What problems ?

1) I downloaded the sources through git
git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-gutsy.git ubuntu-gutsy
git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-gutsy-lum.git ubuntu-gutsy-lum

2) Followed wiki procedure for compilation of kernel. But it need to
create .deb packages. I do not want to create these packages - I just
want vmlinux and initrd images. How can I do this ?

3) Wiki page mentions that for building lum, we must install
headers*.deb, hence it seems that I can not try usual kernel
compilation process(make menuconfig, make, make install). Is there any
way to build lum sources WITHOUT installing headers and new built
kernel ?

4) I just want to build generic flavour of it. So I copied my
.config(configuration I want) to debian/config/i386/config.generic.
And followed wiki procedure. It builds the kernel. I dint do
debian/rules updateconfig. What is this needed for ?

5) I also want to do cross compilation. i.e compile 32bit kernel(i386)
on a 64-bit machine. How can I do this ? Again I dont want to install
the kernel do build lum sources.

Any help in this regard would be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
Sachin Gaikwad

TJ 11-30-2007 08:16 PM

Linux module compilation

See the Wiki page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMaintenance#head-ef6ca858b4b97c1ad30639e34d92abb11ef37cf8

The first stanza gives an example of building out-of-tree for a
particular flavour.

My usual procedure is:

1.) Clean the build tree
make O=../build ARCH=<arch> [SUBARCH=<subarch>] mrproper

2.) Base Configure
make O=../build ARCH=<arch> [SUBARCH=<subarch>] defconfig

or
cat debian/config/<arch>/config{,.generic} > ../build/.config
make O=../build ARCH=<arch> [SUBARCH=<subarch>] oldconfig

3.) Build kernel
make O=../build ARCH=<arch> [SUBARCH=<subarch>]

for User-Mode Linux
make O=../build ARCH=um [SUBARCH=<subarch>] linux
make O=../build ARCH=um [SUBARCH=<subarch>] modules
strip -S ../build/linux

4.) Install kernel and modules
sudo make O=../build ARCH=um [SUBARCH=<subarch>] INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/
modules_install
sudo cp ../build/vmlinux /boot/vmlinuz-<version>

TJ.