Old 05-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Tim Gardner

Default SRU request for LP#210742

Colin Ian King wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/210742
>
> SRU justification:
>
> Impact: IPV6 temporary addresses won't work if two prefixes are
> advertised on a link with one having a preferred_lifetime of 0 (usually
> the case after a re-numbering).
>
> The reason is that when router advertisement is processed, they update
> all the temporary addresses and not just the relevant one. Furthermore,
> no temporary addresses should be created with a preferred lifetime of 0.
>
> The patch attached is from two relatively straight forward two upstream
> cherry picks (originally davem/net-2.6.git and recently Linux
> 2.6.25-rc9) back ported to 2.6.24.
>
> (This bug affects the second biggest french ISP (more than 1M
> subscribers) and without it temporary addresses are useless.
>
> Attached: The patch

I assume you are going to solicit feedback from the LP reporters after
posting your PPA version of the kernel?

Both of these cherry-picks are in stable 2.6.25.y, so they are likely OK.

ACK
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com

Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Tim Gardner

Colin Ian King wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 11:43 -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Colin Ian King wrote:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/210742
>>>
>>> SRU justification:
>>>
>>> Impact: IPV6 temporary addresses won't work if two prefixes are
>>> advertised on a link with one having a preferred_lifetime of 0 (usually
>>> the case after a re-numbering).
>>>
>>> The reason is that when router advertisement is processed, they update
>>> all the temporary addresses and not just the relevant one. Furthermore,
>>> no temporary addresses should be created with a preferred lifetime of 0.
>>>
>>> The patch attached is from two relatively straight forward two upstream
>>> cherry picks (originally davem/net-2.6.git and recently Linux
>>> 2.6.25-rc9) back ported to 2.6.24.
>>>
>>> (This bug affects the second biggest french ISP (more than 1M
>>> subscribers) and without it temporary addresses are useless.
>>>
>>> Attached: The patch
>>>
>> I assume you are going to solicit feedback from the LP reporters after
>> posting your PPA version of the kernel?
>
> Indeed I am waiting feedback.. so it's pending verification from my PPA
> version. Could take a while :-)
>
>> Both of these cherry-picks are in stable 2.6.25.y, so they are likely OK.
>>
>> ACK

I'm inclined to commit these changes, even before we get much feedback.
There _was_ a fair amount of upstream discussion, they are in the stable
kernel, they _will_ have an effect on a large population of IPv6 users,
and the downside for IPv4 users appears to be inconsequential.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com