Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Stefan Bader

Default RTL8180+RTL818x support

There seem to be several reports complaining about those rtl drivers:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/184788

Possibly there are more. So far it seems there are rtl8187 and rtl8150
drivers in the kernel (how well those work I do not know). There does
not seem to be a driver for rtl8180.

What I got from some links in reports is the svn base from
http://rtl-wifi.sourceforge.net
+ a compat patch (in the lbm-addon tar)
+ a patch to cleanly build outside (export renames and a bit of cleanup)

All at zinc.ubuntu.com:smb~/4review

Probably the best way to go would be to create another ppa package that
includes the external driver and gather reports. Thoughts?

Stefan

Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Tim Gardner

Stefan Bader wrote:
> There seem to be several reports complaining about those rtl drivers:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/156050
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/184788
>
> Possibly there are more. So far it seems there are rtl8187 and rtl8150
> drivers in the kernel (how well those work I do not know). There does
> not seem to be a driver for rtl8180.
>
> What I got from some links in reports is the svn base from
> http://rtl-wifi.sourceforge.net
> + a compat patch (in the lbm-addon tar)
> + a patch to cleanly build outside (export renames and a bit of cleanup)
>
> All at zinc.ubuntu.com:smb~/4review
>
> Probably the best way to go would be to create another ppa package that
> includes the external driver and gather reports. Thoughts?
>
> Stefan

That seems like a reasonable approach.

Since not everyone subscribed to this list has an account on zinc,
perhaps you could post your review notes at http://people.ubuntu.com/~smb

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com

Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Stefan Bader

Tim Gardner wrote:
> Stefan Bader wrote:
>> There seem to be several reports complaining about those rtl drivers:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/156050
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/184788
>>
>> Possibly there are more. So far it seems there are rtl8187 and rtl8150
>> drivers in the kernel (how well those work I do not know). There does
>> not seem to be a driver for rtl8180.
>>
>> What I got from some links in reports is the svn base from
>> http://rtl-wifi.sourceforge.net
>> + a compat patch (in the lbm-addon tar)
>> + a patch to cleanly build outside (export renames and a bit of cleanup)
>>
>> All at zinc.ubuntu.com:smb~/4review
>>
>> Probably the best way to go would be to create another ppa package that
>> includes the external driver and gather reports. Thoughts?
>>
>> Stefan
>>

> That seems like a reasonable approach.
>
> Since not everyone subscribed to this list has an account on zinc,
> perhaps you could post your review notes at http://people.ubuntu.com/~smb
>
> rtg

It is there: http://people.ubuntu.com/~smb/rtl-wifi/

Stefan

Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Tim Gardner

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Stefan Bader wrote:
>>> There seem to be several reports complaining about those rtl drivers:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/156050
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/184788
>>>
>>> Possibly there are more. So far it seems there are rtl8187 and rtl8150
>>> drivers in the kernel (how well those work I do not know). There does
>>> not seem to be a driver for rtl8180.
>>>
>>> What I got from some links in reports is the svn base from
>>> http://rtl-wifi.sourceforge.net
>>> + a compat patch (in the lbm-addon tar)
>>> + a patch to cleanly build outside (export renames and a bit of cleanup)
>>>
>>> All at zinc.ubuntu.com:smb~/4review
>>>
>>> Probably the best way to go would be to create another ppa package that
>>> includes the external driver and gather reports. Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Stefan
>>>
>> That seems like a reasonable approach.
>>
>> Since not everyone subscribed to this list has an account on zinc,
>> perhaps you could post your review notes at http://people.ubuntu.com/~smb
>>
>> rtg
>
> It is there: http://people.ubuntu.com/~smb/rtl-wifi/
>
> Stefan