Old 05-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Matt Price

Default Rebuilding linux-ubuntu-modules and linux-restricted-modules?

i think this belongs with kernel-team?
On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 21:54 -0400, Aubrey Eddleson wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've looked high and low and nowhere can I find a workable method
> of recompiling linux-ubuntu-modules and linux-restricted-modules for a
> custom kernel. Please forgive me for asking this here, but I don't
> know anyone else to aks and I find more and more often that modules
> that I know and appreciate are being absorbed by these two packages
> (fglrx became part of l-r-m in Hardy). Also, if there's any way to
> modify the code to automatically compile under /usr/src/modules with
> module-assistant as was more common previously, that would be wonderful!
>
> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer,
>
> Aubrey

all i can say isthat, back when i used to do this, i remember it was not
straightforward. and things have changed a lot since then, so i won't
comment further, but maybe some of the kernel team members can help
uout, especially now that hardy has been released.
matt

--
Matt Price
matt.price@utoronto.ca

Old 05-03-2008, 04:30 AM
Ben Greear

Matt Price wrote:
> i think this belongs with kernel-team?
> On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 21:54 -0400, Aubrey Eddleson wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I've looked high and low and nowhere can I find a workable method
>> of recompiling linux-ubuntu-modules and linux-restricted-modules for a
>> custom kernel. Please forgive me for asking this here, but I don't
>> know anyone else to aks and I find more and more often that modules
>> that I know and appreciate are being absorbed by these two packages
>> (fglrx became part of l-r-m in Hardy). Also, if there's any way to
>> modify the code to automatically compile under /usr/src/modules with
>> module-assistant as was more common previously, that would be wonderful!
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer,
>>
>> Aubrey
>>

> all i can say isthat, back when i used to do this, i remember it was not
> straightforward. and things have changed a lot since then, so i won't
> comment further, but maybe some of the kernel team members can help
> uout, especially now that hardy has been released.
> matt

I have some notes for rebuilding a live image with a patched kernel. I
got the external modules
to compile once with something very like what is in the notes, but I was
not able to do it a
second time. I think there may be some soft/hard link loop somewhere.
If you try these
steps, let me know how it works out.

Please ignore the stuff related to LANforge..that is my project that I
am adding to the custom
live cd.

http://www.candelatech.com/oss/ubuntu-live-notes.txt

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

Old 05-03-2008, 08:10 AM
"Amit Kucheria"

Hi Aubrey,

Try the MaintenanceStarter and Maintenance pages at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KnowledgeBase

Feel free to make changes to the wiki to clarify something if you feel.

Regards,
Amit