Old 04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Colin Ian King

Default unionfs - 2.3.3 for kernel 2.6.25

Hi there,

It appears that the latest and "stable" version of unionfs 2.3.3
requires some minor patches to the 2.6.25 kernel for it to build as a
module in lum.

The main changes in the patch are:

1. changing fsstack_copy_attr_all() by removing the final NULL
parameter. This patch therefore touches the following source that call
or contain fsstack_copy_attr_all()

fs/ecryptfs/dentry.c
fs/ecryptfs/inode.c
fs/ecryptfs/main.c
fs/stack.c
include/linux/fs_stack.h

Hence an ABI bump is required.

2. renaming do_splice_from(), do_splice_to()

long do_splice_from(struct pipe_inode_info *pipe, struct file *out,
loff_t *ppos, size_t len, unsigned int flags)

renamed to:

long vfs_splice_from(struct pipe_inode_info *pipe, struct file *out,
loff_t *ppos, size_t len, unsigned int flags)

and also:

long do_splice_to(struct file *in, loff_t *ppos,
struct pipe_inode_info *pipe, size_t len,
unsigned int flags)

renamed to:

long vfs_splice_to(struct file *in, loff_t *ppos,
struct pipe_inode_info *pipe, size_t len,
unsigned int flags)

and exporting these new symbols too.

This affects:

fs/splice.c
include/linux/splice.h

3. Minor changes to fs/stack.c

fsstack_copy_attr_all() does not have final redundant get_nlicks
callback arg

4. add UNIONFS_SUPER_MAGIC to linux/magic.h

5. Add unionfs docs to Documentaion directory

Attached is the proposed patch for your examination to make sure
acceptable.

This needs to be applied to the intrepid 2.6.25 kernel before I can add
the unionfs updates to lum.

Please let me know if this is OK for me to put into Intrepid.

Colin

Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Tim Gardner

Colin Ian King wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It appears that the latest and "stable" version of unionfs 2.3.3
> requires some minor patches to the 2.6.25 kernel for it to build as a
> module in lum.
>
> The main changes in the patch are:
>
> 1. changing fsstack_copy_attr_all() by removing the final NULL
> parameter. This patch therefore touches the following source that call
> or contain fsstack_copy_attr_all()
>
> fs/ecryptfs/dentry.c
> fs/ecryptfs/inode.c
> fs/ecryptfs/main.c
> fs/stack.c
> include/linux/fs_stack.h
>
> Hence an ABI bump is required.
>
> 2. renaming do_splice_from(), do_splice_to()
>
> long do_splice_from(struct pipe_inode_info *pipe, struct file *out,
> loff_t *ppos, size_t len, unsigned int flags)
>
> renamed to:
>
> long vfs_splice_from(struct pipe_inode_info *pipe, struct file *out,
> loff_t *ppos, size_t len, unsigned int flags)
>
> and also:
>
> long do_splice_to(struct file *in, loff_t *ppos,
> struct pipe_inode_info *pipe, size_t len,
> unsigned int flags)
>
> renamed to:
>
> long vfs_splice_to(struct file *in, loff_t *ppos,
> struct pipe_inode_info *pipe, size_t len,
> unsigned int flags)
>
> and exporting these new symbols too.
>
> This affects:
>
> fs/splice.c
> include/linux/splice.h
>
> 3. Minor changes to fs/stack.c
>
> fsstack_copy_attr_all() does not have final redundant get_nlicks
> callback arg
>
> 4. add UNIONFS_SUPER_MAGIC to linux/magic.h
>
> 5. Add unionfs docs to Documentaion directory
>
> Attached is the proposed patch for your examination to make sure
> acceptable.
>
> This needs to be applied to the intrepid 2.6.25 kernel before I can add
> the unionfs updates to lum.
>
> Please let me know if this is OK for me to put into Intrepid.
>
> Colin

Why not change unionfs to conform to the kernel? Or better yet, work
with upstream to get the changes needed for unionfs (like getting it
included in the kernel).

As for ABI bumps, I don't think we need to worry about that until I
start uploading official versions.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com