Old 04-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Stefan Bader

Default ALSA, LUM, and the rest of the universe

Just a writeup of the diskussion on #ubuntu-kernel with mkrufky (v4l
developer):

The problem, as for as I understood: we put both the saa71* and the cx88
driver into lum. The problem for the v4l developers seems to be that
they install the new modules into standard kernel paths when developing
but those are not used but the lum modules.
It does seem, that beside of the -alsa modules, which were made separate
for this reason, there is no alsa dependency for the rest of the
modules. So those might be compiled in the kernel. Could that be an
option for .1?

While talking, I wondered of something else: The big problem with the
cx88 bugs that hit us, were in the end that even when using the right
headers drivers are bad if they do not use the right config options
(because alsa headers change dpending on those settings). We have lum
headers but I did not find a config.h to be used. This might be a big
problem for externally built modules.

Stefan