-   -   Rebuilding the xen image (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/75873-rebuilding-xen-image.html)

"Klett, Stefan" 04-25-2008 07:53 AM

Rebuilding the xen image

Hi List Subscribers,

I'm writing you because I have been assigned to the task of building a
minimal monolithic xen kernel supporting dom0 and domU . After some days
of trying I have got a monolithic domU image running ontop of the the
precompiled linux-image-2.6.24-12 that came with the ubuntu hardy beta.

My problem starts with the dom0 - I got the source package of the image
and tried to recompile it with the new configuration. Sadly the
resulting image does not run as dom0. (The kernel doesn't boot - the
boot stops after the hypervisor tries to hand over control to it -dying
with "relinquishing vga console".) By skimming the patch and reading
some postings on the ubuntu mailing lists I came to the assumption ,that
the dom0 patch is not actually applied on the the source. I re-fetched
the source packet and applied the diff part manually - but this did not
change anything.

My question to you is now how I could properly rebuild the xen-image
with a custom .config. Though I've some years experience with other
flavours of linux distros I'm relatively new to ubuntu - so that I might
have missed something - could you please tell me how this is done
correctly ?

Many thanks in advance for your help and your time
Best regards
Stefan

Stefan Klett (Dipl. Informatiker) | E-mail: stefan.klett@kit.edu
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe / KIT | Web: http://www.fzk.de
SCC Steinbuch Centre for Computing| Phone: +49 (0)7247 828649
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1 | Fax: +49 (0)7247 824972
D-76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen | Mobile: +49 (0)176 20317250

Tim Gardner 04-25-2008 01:48 PM

Rebuilding the xen image

Klett, Stefan wrote:
> Hi List Subscribers,
>
> I'm writing you because I have been assigned to the task of building a
> minimal monolithic xen kernel supporting dom0 and domU . After some days
> of trying I have got a monolithic domU image running ontop of the the
> precompiled linux-image-2.6.24-12 that came with the ubuntu hardy beta.
>
> My problem starts with the dom0 - I got the source package of the image
> and tried to recompile it with the new configuration. Sadly the
> resulting image does not run as dom0. (The kernel doesn't boot - the
> boot stops after the hypervisor tries to hand over control to it -dying
> with "relinquishing vga console".) By skimming the patch and reading
> some postings on the ubuntu mailing lists I came to the assumption ,that
> the dom0 patch is not actually applied on the the source. I re-fetched
> the source packet and applied the diff part manually - but this did not
> change anything.
>
> My question to you is now how I could properly rebuild the xen-image
> with a custom .config. Though I've some years experience with other
> flavours of linux distros I'm relatively new to ubuntu - so that I might
> have missed something - could you please tell me how this is done
> correctly ?
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help and your time
> Best regards
> Stefan

> Stefan Klett (Dipl. Informatiker) | E-mail: stefan.klett@kit.edu
> Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe / KIT | Web: http://www.fzk.de
> SCC Steinbuch Centre for Computing| Phone: +49 (0)7247 828649
> Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1 | Fax: +49 (0)7247 824972
> D-76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen | Mobile: +49 (0)176 20317250

Stefan - get the kernel source according to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMaintenance. You can then build xen with:

fakeroot debian/rules custom-binary-xen

You can observe how the xen kernel is patched by using:

debian/rules custom-prepare-xen

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com