-   -   Building custom kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/710508-building-custom-kernel.html)

Aft nix 10-08-2012 02:06 PM

Building custom kernel

Hi,

I'm trying to build a custom kernel in "ubuntu way". I used to build
kernel from vanilla sources. It was straight forward
business then. But the "ubuntu way" seems a bit confusing to me.

I'm following instruction from this page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/BuildYourOwnKernel.

My confusion is about the configuration stage:

When i issue

$fakeroot debian/rules editconfigs

It spawns several config screen one by one, which is meant for
different flavor. If i want to do configuration for only one flavor
how should i do it?

And when i build the kernel, for which flavor the kernel is built?

--
-aft

Andy Whitcroft 10-09-2012 08:23 AM

Building custom kernel

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:06:14PM +0600, Aft nix wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a custom kernel in "ubuntu way". I used to build
> kernel from vanilla sources. It was straight forward
> business then. But the "ubuntu way" seems a bit confusing to me.
>
> I'm following instruction from this page
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/BuildYourOwnKernel.
>
> My confusion is about the configuration stage:
>
> When i issue
>
> $fakeroot debian/rules editconfigs
>
> It spawns several config screen one by one, which is meant for
> different flavor. If i want to do configuration for only one flavor
> how should i do it?

The kernel source represents all of our flavours at once and therefore
any configuration change via edit there is about all of them. You can
change individual items by appending the new value to the per flavour
configuration files as below:

debian.master/configs/<arch>/config.flavour.<flavour>

then run fakeroot debian/rules updateconfigs

> And when i build the kernel, for which flavor the kernel is built?

By default when you build (dpkg-buildpackage -b) you are building all of
the flavours for the architecture of the chroot you are building in.

-apw