Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Tim Gardner

Default pull-request: support for SATA device sleep

On 09/17/2012 02:22 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It's been requested we pick up the following patches to provide support
> for SATA Device Sleep. I've cherry-picked the first patch, b1354cbb,
> from upstream which then allowed me to cleanly cherry-pick the next 3
> patches from the maintainers tree:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git NEXT
>
> I've pushed the entire patch set to the following branch for review.
> I've requested testing from Tim on AMD hardware. I've also tested
> locally on Intel HW and confirm there are no regressions. For anyone
> else interested in testing, I've posted my test kernel to the following
> location:
>
> http://people.canonical.com/~ogasawara/lp1032228
> <http://people.canonical.com/%7Eogasawara/lp1032228>
>
> Thanks,
> Leann

I think we should delay application of patches in bug #1032228 until we
can get some hard data. One of those patches is pretty intrusive. I'm
not sure its worth the power savings given the maintenance hassles this
might create.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Tim Gardner

[...]

Colin - do you have any kit that we can use to measure this patch set ?

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 09-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Leann Ogasawara

On 09/17/2012 07:11 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 02:39 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> On 09/17/2012 02:22 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It's been requested we pick up the following patches to provide support
>>> for SATA Device Sleep. I've cherry-picked the first patch, b1354cbb,
>>> from upstream which then allowed me to cleanly cherry-pick the next 3
>>> patches from the maintainers tree:
>>>
>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git
>>> NEXT
>>>
>>> I've pushed the entire patch set to the following branch for review.
>>> I've requested testing from Tim on AMD hardware. I've also tested
>>> locally on Intel HW and confirm there are no regressions. For anyone
>>> else interested in testing, I've posted my test kernel to the following
>>> location:
>>>
>>> http://people.canonical.com/~ogasawara/lp1032228
>>> <http://people.canonical.com/%7Eogasawara/lp1032228>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Leann
>>>

>> I think we should delay application of patches in bug #1032228 until we
>> can get some hard data. One of those patches is pretty intrusive. I'm
>> not sure its worth the power savings given the maintenance hassles this
>> might create.
>>
>> rtg
>>

> Colin - do you have any kit that we can use to measure this patch set ?

I've also asked the individuals who initiated this request for
additional metrics which they could share. I'll pass any info along
once I have it.

Thanks,
Leann

Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Colin Ian King

[...]

I don't believe I do, I've tested the newest kit that I have with this
kernel and I was expecting to see one or more of the ahci flags: deso,
sadm or sds, and I don't. Either the my kit doesn't support this, or
the detection isn't working (which I doubt).

Colin